Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that wants some custom shutters and planter boxes made...she wants cypress..is this good wood for exterior projects??? I've never worked:glare: with it. Any suggestions will be helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've worked with exterior shutters in coastal applications for over 15 years and would only recommend river recovered cypress and/or virgin growth heart. Current cypress being harvested doesn't seem any better than SYP for rot resistence. Typically we'd build the panels and boxes out of Spanish cedar and line with a product that allows for the wood to breath but not transfer moisture...see www.wet-flash.com for suggested product.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Find a specialty lumber yard that deals in old cypress for this application. The every day youg stuff at most yards will not last, and it does not contain the resins of the old wood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had cypress planters made from new wood. I planted directly into the raw wood. They are completely unscathed over 3 years later. Cypress is white and accepted the iron oxide and wine stain I made well too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts