Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently stripped a stair case and railing and spindles , wanting it expresso color. It is maple I believe , now the expresso stain will not take to the dark color after wiping off and letting dry and recoating even. I have only done about 6 , I was wondering if I should put down a dark brown dye as a base and let dry then proceed with the expresso, think that will help darken it to the color

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
You shouldn't apply multiple coats of any oil stain anyway. It doesn't bond to the wood very well and if you get a layer on the surface it will cause the finish to peal. The finish will adhere to the stain instead of the wood. Since you have already started with the stain you have I would continue to stain the rest of it with it so it will be uniform in color. Then if the color isn't dark enough apply a dye stain to supplement the color. I normally use Ultra Penetrating Stain from Mohawk Finishing Products. If that isn't possible you might supplement the color with a gel stain.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
thanks steve even tho its a water based stain I put down? by general ?
Rick
The only stains you can really put down in layers is dye stains or gel stains. The dyes are more like ink so they are coloring the wood rather than laying a substance on the surface. The gel stains are more like a thin paint which will bond to even a fiberglass door so there isn't a issue of adhesion. An oil stain or a water based stain left on the surface is almost like coating it with a layer of dirt and then applying a finish over the top. The finish will bond to the stain on the surface instead of the wood.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
How did you remove the prior finish from the items? Did you use a chemical paint stripper or did you sand it?

Maple is a wood that does not easily absorb liquids. Sanding it too smooth can serious impede absorption of a stain.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you remove the prior finish from the items? Did you use a chemical paint stripper or did you sand it?

Maple is a wood that does not easily absorb liquids. Sanding it too smooth can serious impede absorption of a stain.
you got it Howard !! I stripped it with stripper and steel wool , and I thought when I was done that would be a issue.Iam going over now with sand paper to take sheen off and open up the pores . I am positive will take stain now . I no better !!!! o well extra work on this job

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
espresso

[varathane] stain is mark expresso ,[ general stain] is marked espresso,And yes steve should have been done yesterday as always lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts