Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my favorite hardwood supplier (Houston Hardwoods) and drove through my most unfavorite highways (always under construction) in the Houston somewhat downtown area. What a disappointment. Out of 4/4 Padauk, only a few boards of 8/4. Out of Hard Maple both Curly and Birdseye. Only had them in soft maple.
I only bought 1 board of 8/4 Padauk about 5" wide. One board Honduran Mahogany and a few boards of Red Oak both 4/4 and 8/4. They had other exotics but nothing I was interested in today. Thye said that they have been out of Padauk for around a month already and cant seem to nail down a date. Same goes for the hard maple. Only spent about $130 today. Was budgeting myself for more like $500.
Houston Hardwoods is known for their high quality and wide range of exotics and all with very reasonable prices by the board foot. I will be back in that area in another few weeks. Hoping for better luck.

Have any of you had similar problems/shortages?

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Steve Neul
I used to go to Brazos once in a while before my boat trip in 2012. It was a nice place to go. Could even bargain with the manager over pallet loads of cut-offs. Went back there around a year ago when I got back into the area. Everything changed. No more lumber yard look. there was a waiting room. You tell them what you are looking for. Then you go through a door and there was a forklift with a pallet load on top. They lowered down the pallet and you can look and select the boards you wanted. Then for the next species, you waited until the forklift came back with a different pallet.
I just didn't like the place. It was too formal and I didn't feel comfortable sorting through a load on a pallet on a forklift. The forklift operator was extremely patient. To me, I was not feeling comfy with the set-up so I just left. It was set up for big purchasers even though they were very patient with a sole individual like me and didn't even hint that I was taking too long. I just didn't feel right. But that's just me.
Anyway, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
@Steve Neul
I used to go to Brazos once in a while before my boat trip in 2012. It was a nice place to go. Could even bargain with the manager over pallet loads of cut-offs. Went back there around a year ago when I got back into the area. Everything changed. No more lumber yard look. there was a waiting room. You tell them what you are looking for. Then you go through a door and there was a forklift with a pallet load on top. They lowered down the pallet and you can look and select the boards you wanted. Then for the next species, you waited until the forklift came back with a different pallet.
I just didn't like the place. It was too formal and I didn't feel comfortable sorting through a load on a pallet on a forklift. The forklift operator was extremely patient. To me, I was not feeling comfy with the set-up so I just left. It was set up for big purchasers even though they were very patient with a sole individual like me and didn't even hint that I was taking too long. I just didn't feel right. But that's just me.
Anyway, thanks for the tip.
It's been a number of years since I've been there but the Brazos company in Dallas had a hobby store in the front for the DIY. It looked a lot like Rockler but with a good selection of exotic and domestic wood. A number of years earlier it was Paxton and they got to where they wouldn't even sell to cabinet shops. They would only sell train load quantities. Therefore they sold out to a smaller company and now Brazos in the same location. Quite a transformation. When I went in business I worked from my house and Paxton would deliver to my residence and now you have to have rail access to get wood from them.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like everyone in all facets of life is selling out to the giant, whether it be automobiles, houses and real estate, Somehow I think it is just a house of cards waiting to collapse. In woodworking and cabinetry like most other areas of life, someone will always find alternatives. Then wood will become passe and some new media will rule.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seems like everyone in all facets of life is selling out to the giant, whether it be automobiles, houses and real estate, Somehow I think it is just a house of cards waiting to collapse. In woodworking and cabinetry like most other areas of life, someone will always find alternatives. Then wood will become passe and some new media will rule.
I wonder with all the talk about brick and mortar stores going the way of the dodo how long it will be before they make a comeback. Things go in and out of style. Opportunities come up because of changes, and old things come back.

As a kid back in the early 1970s when my parents had a house built and went with oak trim and flooring I remember hearing that oak probably wouldn't be available at some point in the somewhat near future. That didn't turn out to be true.

I also remember furniture at the time having a lot of wood-look plastic on it.

·
Registered
Termite
7,919 Posts
I haven't bought from Paxton in awhile. They carried Saline hardware and IPE at one time and had a hobby store on the side When they sold out the hobby store, IPE and Saline hardware disappeared. At this point I pretty much started buying from Liberty hardwoods. They got smart and opened a exotics lumber store called metro hardwoods. Drawer slides , biscuits, etc all there.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see your point. Big giants eventually get toppled and then small businesses merge and then there are new big giants. Things always change and then change back again in cycles. Just new names and new faces. The Walmarts here seem empty now because of Amazon. It's like most Walmart customers are there for their groceries only. Amazon was their 'giant slayer.' It will probably take a major catastrophic depression to topple Amazon. But eventually it will be toppled.

·
Registered
Termite
7,919 Posts
We go to Walmart one e a month for groceries. The wife spends the rest of the month shopping Amazon. you want ant traps, theater popcorn butter, etc it’s Amazon..

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I plan on going to Walmart the day after tomorrow, I can probably get it sooner from Amazon. They are in the completion stage of a really big Amazon place less than 3/4 mile from me. That means they can deliver it before I even hit the send button.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts