Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just oicked up a Radial arm saw. Have always wanted one but never really went out looking. I know strange. Friday i bought a miter saw from HF only because it has sliding features. Deeper cut. Then sat i had the DUH! moment. I checked CL and found a couple in my price range. I returned the HF saw and for the same money got an electronic radial arm saw. Cant wait to use it.

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
I have had one for years and use it a lot. My mitre saw collects dust most of the time. Have fun, get a negative hook blade or a thin kerf blade and it will perform great.

·
where's my table saw?
28,561 Posts
OK, clam down...

As much as I like and use Radial Arms saws they are not the be all, end all of woodworking machines, contrary to all the marketing back in the 70's and 80's. :no:

They are similar to a sliding dual bevel miter saw, but not the same machine in many ways. Set up is very important and if it came with the owner's manual, I would really sit down and learn all the features and how to check for accuracy. If not, then download from Sears Parts Direct or buy a manual on Ebay for that "electronic" model as it will be different from the others. Someone here may have a manual also....?

Post the model number and a photo of your new tool. :yes:

Reactions: MasterSplinter

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting redo my disastrous shop"basement " studs, insulation and drywal. Will be making a counter on all the walls in the shop. Tools will be incorporated into the top. Can't wait

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
I just oicked up a Radial arm saw. Have always wanted one but never really went out looking. I know strange. Friday i bought a miter saw from HF only because it has sliding features. Deeper cut. Then sat i had the DUH! moment. I checked CL and found a couple in my price range. I returned the HF saw and for the same money got an electronic radial arm saw. Cant wait to use it.
Just curious...what did u pay for it?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Congrats on your new saw!

Regarding the blade: It may be the best blade in the world - for a table saw. For use on a RAS you want a negative hook angle blade so it doesn't self-feed and take a run at you. I have a similar saw (no electronics) and use the well regarded Freud LU91 and am quite pleased with it - Freud LU91R010 10-Inch 60 Tooth ATB Thin Kerf Miter Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating - Amazon.com

Save the blade that's on it for when you get a table saw. Also, check to see if your saw is part of Sear's RAS recall. If it is, there's a new guard and table in your future (for free!). Check your model number here: http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought that same saw off CL last year for $125, which I thought was a good deal. My father had an old craftsman RAS for years, so I realized how useful they are from an early age.
Haven't been able to use it much yet as my workshop is under construction for another couple months..LOL!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FTWingRiders said:
I bought that same saw off CL last year for $125, which I thought was a good deal. My father had an old craftsman RAS for years, so I realized how useful they are from an early age. Haven't been able to use it much yet as my workshop is under construction for another couple months..LOL!
I had A landlord who taught me a lot about woodworking had one. My shop is a disaster too

·
Registered
532 Posts
My Dad had an old Craftsman RAS. He used it a fair bit...mostly to rough large stock to size before making finish cuts on the table saw. I had a Ridgid RAS about 16-17 years ago. It got some use, but once I made crosscut sleds for the table saw I rarely ever used it and ended up selling it.

Definitely get the negative hook blade. If you've made any cuts with a standard grind, you'll notice the difference at the first cut with the negative hook...much safer and more control.

Enjoy the new saw!

·
where's my table saw?
28,561 Posts
this photo shows it was used for ripping

The scallops behind the the electronic readout in the table show it's been in the ripping position. Based on this statement I'm a bit concerned about safety:
MasterSplinter "I have the manual. I don't feel it is the be all end all tool . It will be a very useful tool for me since I don't have a nice large table saw setup. The model is 113.197250"

I am one of the few here that think ripping on the RAS is OK, IF you know what you are doing. The new blade guard will help with safety, the reason for the recall..... however, it's a operation that needs some significant thought. That is also why I said..."it's not the be all, end woodworking tool" in an earlier post. I use my 12" Craftsman RAS for crosscutting only although I have ripped 1000 ft of cypress on one set up outside with a 24 ft long table and fence.

I won't go into the how's or why's here, but do some research on the ripping operation IF you intend to use it for that. :yes:

It also shows some disturbing/enlarged angled kerfs which tell me something was not under control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts