Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Roy Underhill was a childhood hero, and now, as an adult, some things haven't changed. I love the energy, the chatter, the "bouncey" attitude. He makes hand tooling much more fun. I wonder if you can buy the full back log of past episodes on DVD?

WCT

·
Registered
198 Posts
There are over 100 episodes available online from the PBS website or on their apps for iPad, Xbox, etc.

I don't know if all of the seasons are out yet, but I think Popular Woodworking is working on releasing them. I have Season 1 from 1980 - the video quality is very poor, but the shows are entertaining. It is interesting to see how his methods have changed through the years.

I've also taken one of his classes and highly recommend it if you are a fan of the show.

·
Registered
71 Posts
He looks very nervous actually - having never watched him before I don't know if thats just his style but he does bounce from topic to topic in a pretty quirky way.

That being said I made the mistake of trying dovetails as my first advanced joinery method. I failed miserably and got really frustrated in the process :p

After watching this (and having spent several more months practicing) I think I might be ready to try them again.

Very good video!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Having never seen him or his show before I wasn't sure about his style but knowing its done in one take (and seemingly without a script so much as a rough outline), the format makes more sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts