Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a bowl gouge and wondered why couldn't a person make one if they had the raw materials. Anyone here ever done it?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Well, "raw materials" is a pretty broad statement. If you're going to start with the iron ore, I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. If you can get hold of a highspeed steel cylinder that already has the cannel cut out, then it should be pretty simple.

Assuming you're somewhere in between, I would think the biggest problem would be getting the cannel into the cylinder. I'm not a metal worker so I'm not even sure how you DO that.

Good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what I thought of using was either an old tie rod or anti sway bar off a junked car. Those should be a high carbon steel. If necessary I could turn the diameter down on a metal lathe.

Having never used a bowl gouge should you try and work a triangular flute or a more rounded bottom? This would be done with a hand held grinder with either a grinding wheel or a cutting disc. Of course I'd have to go through hardening and annealing it afterwords.

The worst it can do is not work correct?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Maranum
I made several bowl gouges and they all work fine. It wasn't cheap getting started though. I needed to buy a small milling machine and end mills then I bought a forge to harden the steel. M2 steel makes the best gouges as far as I know by my :thumbsup: experience. Mitch

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Well what I thought of using was either an old tie rod or anti sway bar off a junked car. Those should be a high carbon steel. If necessary I could turn the diameter down on a metal lathe.

Having never used a bowl gouge should you try and work a triangular flute or a more rounded bottom? This would be done with a hand held grinder with either a grinding wheel or a cutting disc. Of course I'd have to go through hardening and annealing it afterwords.

The worst it can do is not work correct?
No you definitely do NOT want to do a triangular cannel. Bowl gouges generally have a fairly deep "U" shaped cannel.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts