Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on a coffee table...its gotta be done by Christmas....and I was making some decent progress tonight......and then it all started going down hill....

First I set the blade and started making dado cuts...only to realize I hadn't yet cut them to length.....not a huge deal....

Then I cut to length....reset the blade....and make the dados....so far so good....

Then I cut the last one...into the wrong side......piece ruined....

So I remake the piece........and forget to reset the blade depth and screwed it up again.....

I finally just gave up and came upstairs.....

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Rule number two of diving: You can call (end) a dive at any time for any reason, no questions asked and no repercussions. When it's not going right or just feels weird it's time to call it a night.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I have those kinda days/nights more often than I'd care to admit. It's usually at a time when I'm either under a lot of pressure or I'm just wore out. Either way it's time to replace the tools with beef and call it a day. Even good beer is typically cheaper than ruining good hardwood....

Mark

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Been there and done that... follow the above posts. They are the best advise. I'm experienced enough to know that advise really does work the best. In your case... tomorrow is a better day!

·
7,222 Posts
Yes, been there, done something similar.

Once I got into wood turning, then even more opportunities for hiccups, and up to the last second.

Some days I just need to walk away so the spirit of "Murphy" can dissipate. On days like yours, the spirit of "Murphy" is not worth fighting, since we will likely loose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep, that was my night last night. Building a frame I wasn't paying attention to my math and cut all boards a half inch short. ~$60 worth of walnut gone unless I can come up with a way to work it out.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yep, that was my night last night. Building a frame I wasn't paying attention to my math and cut all boards a half inch short. ~$60 worth of walnut gone unless I can come up with a way to work it out.
Everyone has those days.

I did that and used a board stretcher on the top of this box- ebony in corners of frame. Looks like I planned it. Might work for you? hope you can see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Everyone has those days.

I did that and used a board stretcher on the top of this box- ebony in corners of frame. Looks like I planned it. Might work for you? hope you can see it.
I really wouldn't care if it were for me, but it's for a good friend. The fix, fortunately was easy enough, and it doesn't take away from the piece at all.

To be honest I don't know what a board stretcher is, so I'm not sure what to look for. But that project looks great! I'll do some research on them to get a better idea.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
To be honest I don't know what a board stretcher is,
It's mythical, like a left handed smoke shifter, 100 ft of shore line, muffler bearings and more. When I was apprenticing in a machine shop on the UF campus, I was taught that good machinists make very few mistakes and that great machinists know how to cover them up. In this case a board stretcher would be any technique or artifice that would allow you to use the smaller boards and still complete the project. It's not so much thinking outside the box as it sometimes requires you to rethink the box.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Everyone has those days.

I use my board stretcher all the time. You can make your own.

img_2412-e1287972875987.jpg

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I really wouldn't care if it were for me, but it's for a good friend. The fix, fortunately was easy enough, and it doesn't take away from the piece at all.

To be honest I don't know what a board stretcher is, so I'm not sure what to look for. But that project looks great! I'll do some research on them to get a better idea.
Sorry- board stretcher is as said a mythical wood saver. But in boxes case I cut the top curly walnut pieces too short. I did not want to trash them so I put a 1/8 piece of ebony in the the 45 and saved the piece. Now it looks like I planned it. Sounds like you figured out a way to "stretch" your boards!!!

PS- it was a terrible picture to show what I had done, m

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh man, I'm an idiot. I really thought you somehow added a detail to make the board appear longer.

I've seen people joking about board stretchers before, but it just went right over my head.

·
Registered
527 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts