Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to an auction yesterday at a 1 yr old woodshop that the bank foreclosed on. Powermatic table saw sold for 350. A 10 thousand dollar sliding table saw sold for 1000.
Nothing I could really us except for a mixed table of shelf pins(4000), asstd boxes of screws, hand tools and hardware for $40. Just the sandpaper was worth the 40. Great deals can be had at auctions but some people get caught up and pay close to retail on other items.
Some stuff I wimped out on and then was kicking myself later.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was at an auction last week...one of my competitors went out of business. He had stocked his shop with OLD equipment when he opened up and that was 15 years or so ago. The equipment was just plain worn out. Some of the stuff went for almost new or new prices :blink: :blink: :blink:

Some guy paid $800.00 for a Slugger frame drill and I just bought a new one for $1200.00 with 6 new bits.....It was raining/snowing that day and there was a lot of people there. Sometimes guy's just get caught up in the moment and spend foolishly. :yes: :yes:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I been to alot of auctions like the one you describe Burl, but I never been to one like the one like you found billy. I have scored some incredible deals like that, but I never been to one where the whole auction hwas a steal like the way you decsicribe. I know it happens though because I hear about it all the time I just never seem to find them myself. :no:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am on Long Island, the NY Times (real liberal rag) has a listing on
Sundays (section 10, back page) of lots of Auctions in the tri-state area. All different industries and business's being liquidated.Some are well attended, some not. No real info on the internet, so find out which newspaper has the Auction section in the classidied.
The only problem in once you get experienced , you will never want to pay real prices again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
HHMM I'm like you guys , I always hear about the deals later .. Of course billy you have the upper hand ( ?? ) , by having a few billion people within spittin' distance of you .. So there is much more to go under per capita in yur area .. Around here it rarely happens , and if it does , ya never hear about it ..
AAHH a $350 Powermatic ( 66?? ) and a thousand dollar slider , I'm crying already .. I always wanted one o those high dollar sliders , and I know of only one person who has one .. Says it can be a real pain at times ..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cost of doing business on Long Island and in Ny is absolutely rediculous. A lot of people can not pay the bills even if they are busy so the tax man and the bank will put stuff out to auction after they take posession. Usually the really new and cream of the crop stuff is gone before the auction begins. This last one had a brand new Jet shaper that was not availabe to buy at auction. Just sat there with a sold sticker. Oh well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sales can indeed be great bargains. I bought a nice John Deere baler a year ago for $435. On the other hand, my brother was at a sale last week and was bidding on a wheel rake for me. You may know the kind I'm talking about - 5 large wheels that engage on the ground and rake hay. From our inspection the rake needed some new bearings and other help, but still worth looking at. He called me and told me he got the bid on the rake for only $110¡ First we thought what a bargain! He went to pay for the rake and they told him it had a minimum bid of $600.

Now my question was how could they do that without announcing that at before the bidding started. But they insisted that he couldn't buy it.

So I guess my addition to this thread is that you always have to be careful at an auction. But I sure have found some good bargains.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have been to a few farm auctions and estate auctions in my area. It seems that each one I attended you could identify the ringers in the crowd fairly quickly. The last farm auction I was at they had at least 6 family members racking up the bids. It got so bad most everyone left.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy cow, went to another one. Bankruptcy sale, everything must go, no buyers premium. I was the only one there for inspection. Hundreds of quality tools , great shape, thought I was going into the tool business. About 15 minutes before the actual auction began, 50 people showed up. Still some really good deals but not as I first thought. Proud of myself because I didn't buy what I didn't really need, even though everything was much cheaper than retail.
Spent 500 bucks and I need 2 days to go through everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The best deal to date is a Delta 14" radial arm saw on a heavy duty stand I'm still working out the kinks but runs good and cuts straight and true
from an auction $10.00

1 - 14 of 14 Posts