Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Names Steve From Winnipeg (Canada)

I have dabbled in woodworking, mainly in the form of home renovations for a number of years now. I think in general I do not a bad job but I'm definitely slow as molasses. Spend a fair amount of time reading tips/suggestions/how to vids etc.......which last time around had my kids laughing pretty hard as I would watch a step on the computer......run down to the bathroom and do it.....then run back up etc etc.

Anyway, recently the bar for me has been raised much higher and I'm thinking an opportunity to chat/plan/discuss with those more knowledgeable than myself would be wise......hence why I'm here.

I am somewhat of an audiophile and definitely addicted to collecting records. I told a neighbor that I wanted to build my own stereo stand and that the really top end stands were typically made of solid wood (very often maple 2-3" thick). Well he took it upon himself to head out to the family farm where they were clearing some land and brought me part of the trunk of a maple...cut into two 6 foot 5" sections. He first took it out to his cabin where he has a saw mill and cut it into slabs and now the two sections sit in my garage likely for the next year while they slowly dry out.

This will give me time to plan the design and upgrade a couple power tools and purchase some others (jointer and planer...and thinking a band saw)

Pretty excited and totally blown away by what my neighbor did for me......but also a bit overwhelmed as this is really bringing woodworking up a few notches.

So not much will happen for the next year in terms of actually getting the project started, but hoping some discussion here will help me narrow down some of the aspects/what is essential/ and how best to approach it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
Welcome Steve,
Looks like the start of a fun project. Those slabs need to dry out for awhile if they were just cut recently. Usually a year per inch of thickness is a good rule of thumb. Around here in NE Ohio, the local mill leaves them outside, stickered like yours is, for 6-8 months. Then they move them into a kiln for about three weeks to finish the drying process. At that point the moisture content is below 10%. Live edge slab furniture is very popular now. You might want to type in a search on Pinterest and you'll get a ton of pics to look at and give you ideas. While you're at it, type in a search for 'album storage rack' or something similar and you'll get even better ideas.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike
The chap who did this for me is a horticulturalist/arborist by trade who basically said he'd tell me when I could begin next step. I totally trust his judgement. He mentioned same thing about a year per inch....so I could be waiting longer as I believe these slabs are just shy of 3".
I have a ton of pics saved on Pinterest and some good ideas. Right now trying to incorporate the anti vibration aspect of the build which is a big part of audio stands. (Contact between shelves, and contact with the ground is often minimized by the use of audio spikes as an example)

Should be fun........I hope. LOL

·
Registered
429 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of potential in that maple. Do you have some photos/links to stands like you have in mind?

Yes wood working can be overwhelming, so many skills and things to consider in one project. While you wait for the maple to dry do some smaller projects with similar woods and techniques to build your skill and confidence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll do my best here to explain what is in my mind's eye.

Pic 1 started it all:
Pic 2 I really like the minimalist look so I can see my finished product using this as a base. Two long shelves as shown but I would add a third smaller shelf on top just for my Turn Table.

In terms of a high end antivibration example Pics 3 and 4.

In both examples, point of contact with the floor is at a minimum.....and often that is repeated between shelves (like in pic 4) The audio spikes help limit vibration vertically...up thru the stand.
Some stands further minimize vibration by having a secondary shelf further isolated on top of each main shelf. In some instances this secondary shelf also uses audio spikes but in other instances it addresses more horizontal vibration. In this case instead of an audio spike there is typically a half circle Pic 5 is actually the base for an audio spike.....but for horizontal it is a rounded bottom and basically a ball bearing freely sits within and then the shelf rests on the ball bearing (absorbing any potential back and forth vibration)

So my thoughts.
I'd like to create something like in Pic 2 (minimalist look) with small legs (ending in audio spikes) somewhat hidden underneath ...say 2-3 inches in from the edges. I would repeat this for the 2nd shelf......again with audio spikes. My smaller 3rd shelf for the turn table I may want to double it up (first a smaller version of the other two with audio spikes...but then a twin only separated with the "ball bearing" set up) Thereby isolating (or minimizing) both vertical and horizontal vibration.

As a modified version: I can picture creating a frame. (Pic 6 but this being a super high end example) (legs ending in audio spikes with a frame connecting all the legs (minus the actual shelf) Then each shelf would sit separately on the frame via audio spikes.

So in terms of actual wood working. I have a compound mitre saw/table saw and a router. I was already planning on upgrading the first two, and figured I'd add a jointer. (my brother in law has a planer but I might want my own)....and thought a band saw and probably a stationary drill press would come in handy.

In terms of material....assuming it all dries well....I believe I will have plenty as I have a second larger slabbed trunk like the one in my original post. (both are 6'5" in length and I believe each slab was cut to a 2.75" thickness. I'd like a 2" thick finished product if possible.

Anyway, I hope this long ramble makes sense. I can picture what I want...hoping you can as well.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts