Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to stain an old oak table that I have sanded. Some old stain still remains. It looks like it might have been a cherry stain. The problem is that some areas have sanded out lighter than others esp. where I've sanded more enthusiastically. How do I even this out when I stain it? Do I need to apply a stain controller or just try to work the stain with a second coat in the lighter areas? I would like to get it as even as possible. By the way, I'm planning to stain it a cherry color. Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I dare use a belt sander on this with a finer grade sandpaper? Some of the boards are slightly cupped, so it would be nice to level things out. I have random orbital and oscillating sanders, but they seem to take forever and don't take off the "ridges" enough to get into the "valleys". Appreciate your comments so far and am electing to do the sanding, but want to do it right. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.