Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some changes with a rental property we changed our insurance around. They wanted a new inspection so we welcomed the guy...until he walked in my shop and saw my Franklin woodstove.

They won't insure me with a used Franklin. If I'd have bought a new one I'd be OK but we put the new one in the house and the old one went to my shop. I don't have coverage on the shop (as of yesterday afternoon) and some insurance on the house is in jeopardy due to the proximity factor.

Our insurance isn't a simple factor. We have been talking of downsizing but it won't alter the status of my shop. I'm heading to Coastal Farm to check out propane but I really love my woodstove. It weighs a little less than the Titanic and gives off such a warm heat. Crap!

TonyM

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Are insurance inspections a common thing in some states? At age 65, I can't remember ever having one in the 2 states I've lived (KS and OH).

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Just wait till Obamacare kicks fully in. Insurance will then dictate what you can/can't eat, no more motorcycle riding, no more table saws, band saws, no risky activity of any kind. I mean just think about it. If I am paying your insurance, you can bet your bottom dollar that I am going to tell you how to live so the risk of you getting injured or sick is as low as possible.

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kerosene

Oregon is pretty up on keeping the air clean, especially in this area. I've gone round and round with inspectors before but they stick with it until the change is made. Every time I bury one in the back yard they send another....;)

I don't mind them keeping things in line but it should have a common sense factor in it. We bought a Lopi and it sucks(literally). We either get too much flow or not enough. We are wondering if we can put the old one back in the house and the new one outside but it probably won't happen. We are checking now but I think I know the answer. My decision now is propane or kerosene.

If the big one ever gets dropped I'm hiding in the Franklin.

TonyM

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too many threads

There are many threads with great info on this subject. I don't see any need to go further here if the info is already there. Thanks for the input.

TonyM

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure if you're looking for recommendations, but I've been very happy with country companies not fussing about the safety of my house. The front porch and the deck don't have railings; country companies was the only company that didn't give me grief about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts