Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I have a very dear 83 year old friend who is finally having to give up his farm. He has asked me to help him dispose of personal property. One item is a Euroshop C300 5 in one woodworking machine, I believe of Italian manufacture. He has not used it for many years and it has fallen into significant disrepair. I am currently working on removing rust, freeing up all of the motions and trying to get it into a salable condition.

By and large I am able to figure things out, but it seems obvious that the chip chute for the jointer has to be removed in order to use the thickness plane. I cannot figure out how to remove this thing. Gil told me the instruction manual was destroyed by rodents many years ago. I have had no luck finding anything for it on the Internet.

Can anyone here be of assistance, either with a manual or help removing the chip chute?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all:

Answering my own post here. I watched a video of a different but very similar brand and saw the answer to my question. I would not have guessed this in 100 years. Still took me quite a while to figure out how to flip those jointer tables.

I would still be very grateful if anyone has some idea where I might get an owners manual.

Best regards

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Jay_L!!

DANG!!! THANK YOU!!! I think there is a chance this is an earlier model (the model names: lab 30, vs C300 could make a person think that). And it appears to be Italian, which is what Gil told me this machine is. Mechanically it looks nearly identical. The lab 30 is three-phase, where Gil's is single phase, and the controls are a bit different than what the C 300 controls originally were.

The C 300 was designed with an absolutely terrible control switch system which had a huge 12 deck stacked switch, to select functions. Even more strange, the motors did not have starting capacitors. There was one starting capacitor that was switched among the three motors with the giant switch stack, and then it had a second control that I would describe as an ignition switch. You had to rotate it to the "start" position to spin up the selected motor, and then it would return to the "run" position with a spring-loaded return. The switches were not sufficiently robust and could not carry the current if a careless user crowded the machine too hard, as in trying to plane hardwood with dull planer knives, a thing Gil was prone to doing. Also, Gil could not learn to turn the switch to the "start" position, so the motors would spin up very slowly, pulling huge amounts of current while doing so. He burned up the switch decks for the table saw and planer about 15 years ago. I was able to find replacement parts and rebuilt the switch deck. Several years later he called me again. The switch decks and the motors for the planer and saw were all burned up. By that time I had enough of that set up. I hauled the thing to my shop, stripped out all of the cheap aluminum Italian motors and replaced them with good American made heavy duty power tool motors. I replaced the switch mechanism with ordinary 20 amp toggle switches. A few compromises had to be made to fit in the motors, but now the machine is extremely robust and nearly bulletproof.

I wish I had room for it, but I just don't, and I don't do enough wood work to justify buying it myself. I'm going to get the surface rust off of the tables, free up all of the motions, clean it up and sell it for him. Your discovery of a workable service manual is going to be a great help in this regard. On behalf of Gil and myself I offer you our most heartfelt thanks!!

Best regards
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
You’re quite welcome Mike! I’m happy I could be of assistance.

I had been in the market for a used combination machine back in the 2000’s and when shopping around I recognized the similarities between the C300 and the Lab 30, yet ended up getting a really sweet deal on a new Felder CF731P with an X-Roll slider.

Given the new build costs for the 12” jointer/planer 5 function combination machines tipping $25K, I’m certain you’ll be able to get a premium for it and unload it reasonably quickly. I listed my Felder not too long ago and it ended up in a bidding war with offers exceeding $4K higher than my asking price within the first 24 hrs of listing, nearly fetching what I had into it!

Best Regards to both you and Gil,
J

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, All:

Jay: Thanks again for your help. You seem to be somewhat knowledgeable regarding these machines.

Would anyone be willing to hazard a guess as to what I should price this thing at if I were to advertise it on Facebook marketplace? Or would Gil be better served if I would advertise it on eBay in an auction format? I have had several experiences where I thought things went way under what they should have on eBay, so I would appreciate some idea of its value.

Any advice from the membership would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe you could try listing it at the SCM-Minimax owner’s group. Being a former Minimax MM-16 owner and group member there, I haven’t participated in the group in years, so I’m not too familiar with the current membership or posting requirements. I also don’t have any idea of what to ask for it.

Oh, and I stand to be corrected on the $25K statement...that # reflects the cost of a new 410 w/16” cutterhead and not the 300.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts