Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
27,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Occasionally I have to drill and locate the recessed 1 3/8" hole for
face frame overlay hinges. I made this self seating and easy to locate jig from plexi and oak to fit on 3/4 frame stock without clamps.
It's a snug fit! I just locate the center lines, line up the jig and use a drill press to control the depth of the Forstner bit. It could be done in the field if need be I suppose. :blink: bill
BTW This was my first attempt at a corner cabinet for a vanity, lot's of wingin' it and no drawings. Hickory wood on the frames, Birch ply on the sidewalls and door panels. Pickled white Min Wax finish with Polycylic top coat. Brushed on 4 coats.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Perfect jig. I particularly like the two screw holes for attaching the hinge cup. Excellent jig.

Mind if I copy that one???

·
where's my table saw?
27,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be my guest

That's what we're here for so far as I can can tell.:thumbsup: bill
I'll try to post a better picture of the underside.

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
Because I use many different Euro hinges and different overlays and inset I have many different hole offsets. I just drill my 'template board' with the appropriate offset and write on the inside of the hole what it is for. I have many holes in this template board for the different applications. When I need it I chuck up the 35mm bit and then put the appropriate hole under the drill and lower it in. Then I lock the quill and snug the fence up to the board and lock it in place. I can set the depth stop at this point also. To drill the holes I use the hinge itself as a template with a VIX bit.

·
where's my table saw?
27,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because I use many different Euro hinges and different overlays and inset I have many different hole offsets. I just drill my 'template board' with the appropriate offset and write on the inside of the hole what it is for. I have many holes in this template board for the different applications. When I need it I chuck up the 35mm bit and then put the appropriate hole under the drill and lower it in. Then I lock the quill and snug the fence up to the board and lock it in place. I can set the depth stop at this point also. To drill the holes I use the hinge itself as a template with a VIX bit.
Leo, when you get a chance can you post a photo of the 'template board" ? Thanks, bill

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
You want me to post a board with holes in it? OK.

·
where's my table saw?
27,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup

You want me to post a board with holes in it? OK.
But not just any holy board, the holy template board. Happy Easter!
We (I) might be able to learn a thing or two.:blink: bill

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
Here ya go. A board with holes. My 35mm Jig

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
That's a fancy jig Bill. I'm diggin' the holey boards too. My method is a simple one because I'm just a simple guy.

I have a 3/4" plywood piece about 12" wide about 3' long with a straight edge (about 1 1/2" x 3/4") glued to the top on the long side, which I'll call the fence. It is 3/4" higher than the board. I have a center line on top of the fence that follows down the front edge of the fence. To the left and right of that center line, I make a mark at 3".

The 3" mark is to set the edge of the door (for top and bottom). On the center line I do a cross hatch mark at 13/16" which is the center mark for the spur on the forstner bit, and it gives me 1/8" spacing from the edge of the door.

The board is placed on the drill press table and the cross hatch is lined up with the spur, and is held in place with two "C" clamps at the top of the fence to the table. There...see how simple it is. I'm almost ashamed to tell ya-all how I do it.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Mike,

Possible to show a picture of it? :thumbsup: :yes:

My brain gets lost real easy... :eek:
Joe...you gotta be kidding. It's too simple. Picture a 1'x3' piece of 3/4" ply sittin' on the DP table (left to right). Picture on top on the back is a piece of 3/4" x 1.5" ply flat going the 3' length. The 3/4" edge is the guide for the door edge.

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
I have come to realize that what we as cabinetmakers do every day, seems like a no brainer but it is actually pretty elaborate for someone with little or no experience. We are in this field because we can picture in our minds what others can only see on paper or worst case, in full view.

As simple as it may seem to you, me and others, some people just cannot grasp the concept until they are shown a picture or representation of it. It is just the way the mind works and is nearly impossible to teach. It is like trying to teach someone to have a photographic memory. Either you got it, or you don't.

Show him the jig.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Possible to show a picture of it? :thumbsup: :yes:
Thank you.
Joe...Easier for me to do a drawing, than go fetch and photo. So, here is the board. It just gets clamped to the DP table. It gets lined up with the spur point of the forstner however close to the edge you want the hole.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Man why didn't I read this last week I just mounted a pair of Blum soft close on a desk I'm working on to try them before butchering my kitchen cabinets. All I did was route a channel for the hinge was very hap-hazard and looked sloppy. Today I build this jig and do a sample. Maybe the cabinets will be Re-Juvinated after all.

·
where's my table saw?
27,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More jig photos

This shows how simple the jig is, adjustable for different offsets, and a wedge fit for 3/4" thick stock :

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Woodnthings:

Isn't the critical point the Center of that hole?

Do you measure from the edge to the Hole Center or the edge to edge of hole?

I take it that the plastic part is adjusted for the various type of overlay, etc. (yes?)

That 9/16... is that from the bottom of the plastic to the bottom of the wood?

Is it That distance you adjust for the different overlays, etc.?
How do you know what the distances should be?
(sorry to be so dumb on the subject)

Sure looks simple...

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
Most Euro hinge makers will tell you the distance away from the edge to put the hole, not to the center. Most of the time you will put the center of the drill 4" up from the bottom and down from top edges to get standard placement of the hole.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have some of that type of hinges in my junk box... a friend was throwing them away while moving... I got'em... No documentation...

I'm not even sure about what overlay, etc. they are for... I just have'em and have never used them before... ever...

How would you do it?

·
John
3,028 Posts
Woodnthings:

Isn't the critical point the Center of that hole?

Do you measure from the edge to the Hole Center or the edge to edge of hole?

I take it that the plastic part is adjusted for the various type of overlay, etc. (yes?)

That 9/16... is that from the bottom of the plastic to the bottom of the wood?

Is it That distance you adjust for the different overlays, etc.?
How do you know what the distances should be?
(sorry to be so dumb on the subject)

Sure looks simple...
Pretty good questions Joe. I just installed some of these for the first time so I didn't have a jig. No jig so was trying to set up the drill press, instructions said 1/8" from the edge. So for the center I took 1/8" plus 1/2 of the 1-3/8" hole and came up with 13/16". Set up for that. Test pieces were a bit tight so ended up with 7/8". Mine were Liberty hinges so am not sure if that makes a difference. Got 11 more doors to do and I'm planning on staying with 7/8" and Liberty hinges.
From the looks of the design, I don't think placement of the cup has anything to do with the overlay (Inset doors excepted). The overlay looks to me like that is accomplished with the length of the arm and the pivot point. Placement of the cup, looks to me like, would affect the clearance between the door edge and the face frame when the door is opened.
Anyway, those are the perceptions or mis-conceptions I've been working with. :blink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts