Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I messed up mixing too little hardener for a System 3 epoxy batch that i wanted to fill knots with.

Its been 30 minutes and its still not setting. Its 68°. Will it cure? If not, what do i do with the uncured epoxy thats been poured into the knots already?

I'm making hickory raised panels and DO NOT want to have to start over.

Any insight appreciated!

· Old School
24,011 Posts
I messed up mixing too little hardener for a System 3 epoxy batch that i wanted to fill knots with.

Its been 30 minutes and its still not setting. Its 68°. Will it cure? If not, what do i do with the uncured epoxy thats been poured into the knots already?

Any insight appreciated!
Depending on how much hardener you used, it may just take longer. Be patient and wait a day or so.

· Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
51craigie said:

Any insight appreciated!
If you mixed any hardener in it. It will harden with time. If its a little sticky after its hard you can probably wipe it off with a solvent. Try not to panic.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

· Registered
1,239 Posts

Any insight appreciated!
i have poured lot's of epoxy , if it were mine if you can dig out what you can get to and mix up the right mix and pour over what's their i belive it will get hard , but if you leve it i don't belive it will ever set up , use a torch flame to break the bubbles that form also , other wise it doesn't set up and look like glass , another thing you could do also ? i cant see the knot's from here but maybe you could take some hardner and use something to mix hardner in with what is all ready their ? try and smooth out , epoxy will flow out to a flat, and go thro hole's or crack's also, good luck

· Registered
29,490 Posts
Ever hear the saying "When in doubt, throw it out". The epoxy may harden to the touch if you wait it out but it will never achieve the hardness that you intended. I would dig out as much as you can and wash as much as you can out with acetone and do it over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.