Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated in my intro I love to make fishing lures. I have run into a problem with toothy fish (pike, walleye, etc..) tearing up my lures. So my question to all of you is: Is there an epoxy finish that goes on smooth and will not turn yellow after exposure to the sun?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I would be looking more at your marine varnishes. They can stand constant UV, salt water and foot traffic (most of the time those shoes are covered with sand) My brother does wood boat refinishing in Florida, he likes the Cetol, but it is not perfectly clear, more amber with several coats. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...INE)&storeId=10001&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1

I use spar urethane on mine, it does what you are asking about. It is even impervious to gasoline. They should have it at your local hardware store (or Rocker.com has it) It just takes several coats to build it up. I dip mine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Daren. Your lures look to pretty to be fished.:yes: I wpould hate to lose one of those things, that wood is beatiful. I will get a few pics of my lures and post them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought of another question. Does that urethane leave a smell on those lures. It seems to make a difference when I fish my lures. Lures that I use Acrylic paint seem to get bit more than lures I use enamel paint.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Does that urethane leave a smell on those lures.
No. I even experimented with "unfinished" lures. Raw wood, and would soak them in that fish attractant spray. No noticeable difference. It was more "action" that got them to hit I am pretty sure.

Yea, these lures are not fished (not many anyway) they are collector/decoration thing. But they would fish if a guy didn't mind throwing a $20 plug up in the snags where the big ones are :laughing: (mostly bass around here)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm at work now, but will get you those pics asap. I went to your lure site I loved the turned lures never thought of that. Last time I used a lathe was in school wood shop made a candle stick holder, Resembled your lure:laughing: .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Gentlmen, I woke up to more snow (over 90 inches so far this year) I must go out and clean up our job sites then I will sit down and get you some pics. Please have the coffee ready!:laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts