Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i constructed the table i the winter when the house was drier and no that it spring the moisture content is higher and i am guessing that the wood is expanding and squeezing out the epoxy between the boards. i am planing on sanding it all down. my question is what do i use to fill the gaps between the boards that wont pop-out.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,877 Posts
You have 2 separate issues

The epoxy oozing from the plank(s) running lengthwise is a mystery. That should be happening.

The major issue is you have epoxied the end cap which has it's grain running at 90 degrees to the main planks which have their grain running lengthwise, a condition that will NOT allow for them to expand or contract as moisture in the environment changes. Proper practice would allow for the planks to move across their width without being constrained by any epoxy on the end cap. Wood does NOT move much if any along it's length, but does indeed move across it's width, so you can't glue boards at 90 degrees to one another without issues.

There are solutions for this to maintain the current look you have. They include making a tenon all across the end of the planks and a mortise in the end caps or "breadboard ends". Then you only glue/epoxy the center plank and leave the others free to expand or contract. This may mean under certain conditions the end cap will be slightly proud of the main planks... or NOT.

The epoxy is also a light color which calls attention to it and looks like a filler, rather unsightly. If you can't stand to live with it "as is", the solution would be to saw down all the joints, removing all traces of epoxy and reglue them using a woodglue, Titiebond 2 or Elmers. Then create the mortises and tenons mentioned above. :|

1 - 2 of 2 Posts