Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I built a bar in my basement the top is going to be tiger bamboo hardwood flooring. For added protection to stop scratches ect I was thinking of using something like envirotex.
But my main concern is how do u think it will hold up and adhere to the already finished bamboo?
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I'm with Steve in that if you're going to put a new finish on it, I'd strip off the old since you have no way of knowing how another finish would adhere.

But, I have a maybe stupid question...... From the pre-finished flooring that I've seen, the finish is pretty tough. If it would stand up to people walking on it (including with wet feet), shouldn't it hold up to the bottom of a glass and some elbows?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes originally I was just going to lay it on and be done but my father also has a bamboo top and just from sliding beer cans and bottles it has some scratches .

This is from enviro tex
If the flooring is tongue and groove, be certain to glue it together by running a bead of glue along the entire groove; this will prevent the epoxy coating from flowing through the joint.
Scuff sand the surface with 400 grit if it is factory sealed then apply the Seal Coat layer of EnviroTex Lite (see instructions page 2) – this layer of EnviroTex will trap the air in the bamboo – yup, bamboo has air which needs to be sealed into the surface before the thick flood coat is applied. Thanks

What do u think will it be a problem or hard to do on bamboo?

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
I think it's a gamble how long the finish will adhere to the flooring especially not knowing what finish is on the flooring now. At about 80 bucks a gallon I would want to know for sure the product is going to work. Also if it doesn't work epoxy finishes are difficult to chemically strip so if it lifts in a few spots you will have a hard time getting it off. Anyway regardless of what finish is on the flooring the epoxy will bond to bare wood far better than over any finish. If you are going to do it you would have better luck if you would scuff the finish with 220 grit paper. The coarser paper will give a better bite for the epoxy to bond to. 400 grit paper will barely take the shine off the existing finish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could just do a pour on a test piece if the flooring with the small kit right? I would know right away if it's not sticking correctly right?

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I could just do a pour on a test piece if the flooring with the small kit right? I would know right away if it's not sticking correctly right?
If the finish on the bamboo is completely cured, you should be able to sand with 180x-220x, wipe down with denatured alcohol or acetone, and then apply a seal coat. The seal coat is just that. A coat to seal off any voids or places that could expel air or allow a drain through.

Allow it to cure about 6 hours @ 72° - 80°. Any cooler than that will take longer to cure.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If the material was intended for flooring, it was undoubtedly coated with an aluminum oxide enhanced finish. The aluminum oxide is a metal and it's what gives pre-finished flooring it high durability. This type of finish is very hard and other finishes do not adhere well to it. Even aggressive scuff sanding will not assure good adhesion.

One thing you might do is to contact the flooring manufacturer and ask about top coating their product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts