Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a kitchen island with a top made of several pieces of 4/4" stock with final dimensions of 1"x24"x44". I intend to seal the top with a flood coat (1/8") of Liquid Glass, Kleer Kote, or some similar product. The top will be backed/glued across its entire dimension by/to a layer of 3/4" ply.

With the ply backing and epoxy coat, do I still need to make accommodations for expansion/contraction in attaching the top to the apron rails? Additionally, if there is any expansion/contraction is there risk that the epoxy coat will crack?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
404 Posts
As long as you do the same to the bottom side ( finish it with same method) you should be alright. I wouldn't glue it to ply.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'm building a kitchen island with a top made of several pieces of 4/4" stock with final dimensions of 1"x24"x44". I intend to seal the top with a flood coat (1/8") of Liquid Glass, Kleer Kote, or some similar product. The top will be backed/glued across its entire dimension by/to a layer of 3/4" ply.

With the ply backing and epoxy coat, do I still need to make accommodations for expansion/contraction in attaching the top to the apron rails? Additionally, if there is any expansion/contraction is there risk that the epoxy coat will crack?

Thanks in advance for your help!
With pour on epoxy, you don't plan for E&C, but just hope it doesn't happen. If your pieces aren't too wide, will lessen the possibility of movement.

I've done restaurant and bar tables both ways...with and without a substrate, and had good luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Some other things to keep in mind and I'm not sure of your application. But epoxy is not a cutting surface, scratches and chips easy.
If you were going to wrap it to hide the plywood you might be better off doing full thickess of the top. Might cost you less then adding trim and ply.
Plywood can take on moisture just as easy or easier.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cabinetman -
Doesn't what forum I ask questions in, you are always there! Haha! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, you've been incredibly helpful.

CNYWOODS -
Ya I was thinking about it more this morning and thought the same. It'll cost just as much to just do full tickness and then I don't have to worry about wrap around. I just got off the phone with my wood guy and got my order changed accordingly. Thanks mate!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts