Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
As a relative newbie, I am looking for a bit of advice as to what drill press to get. Budget of up to about $350, maybe a bit more at a stretch. The Shop Fox W1668 looks nice and tick most of the right boxes for me.

I have read quite a few drill press reviews sites on line and had a look at what's on A mazon, but would like to hear to first hand user reports from you guys!

What are your thoughts?
Thx

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm not sure if they have a patent on it or what, but I love the depth stop on my Delta Drill Press, and hate the ones on the Powermatic and ShopFox we have at work. Depth stop is probably the most critical tech on a Drill Press, and when it's a crappy side mounted design that bends or comes loose it'll ruin work when you least expect it.

Other than that, the ease of changing speed and type of chuck they come with would be my next measures. I love the manual chuck (vs keyed) on the Powermatic, but it gets stuck on occasion whereas I can always loosen the keyed chuck on my Delta.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If I were in the market for a drill press I'd be looking for one of similar vintage to this. Either Delta or Craftsman of this era are readily available via ebay or craig's list.

It certainly isn't new, bright and shiny but it will drill holes with authority while those new from asia for $400.00 may not even work out of the box. The drill in the link has a couple of features some people don't value but those features aren't even available on entry level new drill presses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281136804272?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
i have a 10" drill press, and it isn't long enought to allow me to use the mortising set that I bought. I will look for a floor standing, !5" or more drill press when I can afford it. Don't think 'entry level', think what you need to do the things you want to. I can do a lot of things with my 10" bench drill press, but not mortising.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.