Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice stuff. I especially like the 'marbalized' grain on the drawers

I noticed you used the dovetail jig that only goes 50% of the depth. I have a similar jig that will do that, or go to 100% depth on the pins - have you ever had an issue with strength? I always prefer the full depth pins on my dovetails, but it is a lot easier to do the one's that are only half way in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is basically cabinet grade birch plywood. The face frames, door, and drawer fronts are solid birch. The drawer sides and backs are poplar. As for the finish, I had taken a sample of an existing cabinet the customer had and had Sherwin Williams do a color match. It has a cinnamon base. I can look for the formula if you are interested.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comment Kirk. I really like the look of dovetails. I could have done it a lot quicker with locking miters or just butt joints, but what fun would that have been (Ha-Ha). They are a challenge, but in the end, it makes the project much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great Job Thats A Beautiful Piece Of Work Very Very Nice. Did You Design It Yourself Or By A Plan You Bought? I Would Love To Get A Set Of Plans To Build That.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
questions

Nice looking piece of work! Your stain job looks pretty good in the pix. What did you use for topcoat? Also, I'm curious, what is the dark section near the top? Is it Painted/lacquered black? hard to tell in the pic. Looks good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I designed it along with the customer. He had his basement remodeled and left the opening in the wall for the built-in. We took into cosideration the size of the TV he was getting, what components and storage. Drew up a couple ideas and went from there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts