Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts
posted Jan 2011

WOW! Thanks to you guys for all the great ideas. Brilliant!
Problem probably solved by now.....? :blink:

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts
Not at all

Just don't expect any response from the original poster. He didn't say which solution worked for him except for this:

Nogarap Many thanks to all who have taken the trouble to reply, you have been very helpful. I think I'll try the tapered reamer first then if that doesn't work will try the forstner bit. Cheers.

I would be nice to know if that worked for him ..... :blink:

The OP might have solved his problem, but the question and suggested answers may help someone (who hasn't seen this thread) running into that same situation. No harm or foul by bringing it back is there?

·
Registered
303 Posts
My guess is that the OP wanted to replace tuning pegs on guitars or some other stringed instrument. Those tuning pegs often come in different diameters. I replaced mine with slightly larger (better) ones and had to make the original holes larger.

I went with a tapered hand reamer and went about a 1/3 of the way in on both sides and then finished off with a power hand drill.

It is a little unnerving using a power drill on the head stock of a stringed and delicate acoustical instrument. One mistake and you could ruin the head stock. I had one minor tear-out of the lacquer and finish but nothing not fixable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The easiest way to do this is to use a forstner bit, take 7mm dowel hold it in the hole, by hand, center a 10mm forstner bit and just drill it, the dowel will allow you to keep it centered...ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi, Sorry it was remiss of me not to let you know the outcome. The reamer worked perfectly. Thanks again for your assistance. Best regards.

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
I would try to glue in a dowel first , and redrill a new hole, but sometimes getting the right dowl to fit might be tricky, especially if you wood is only 1/2 inch thick.

You could try using a block of wood as a guide for the forsnet bit.

What I would do is get a nice hunk of hardwood (perhaps maple) and a 10mm forsner bit. Put the bit in a drill press, and drill a hole in the hardwood at the angle that you want your hole to be in the musical instrument that you are repairing.

After doing so, you can clamp the hardwood guide over the existing hole and drill away. The hardwood guide would help prevent any tear out if it is flush with the musical instrument, and the forsner bit also will help prevent it as well.

Hope this helps... if you need a picture to show you, I might be able to get something put together.... just let me know.

Fabian
2X

The trick with this type of re-sizing is centering the drill guide over the exact spot you want to drill.

Good luck. Have not read the whole post but some sort of tuning peg for the musical instrument? I know the violin tuning pegs are indeed tapered.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts