Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some semi permanent shop lighting for a temporary shop I am setting up. It is 24x35 and the lights will be wired to a plug and run of extension cords from the house. I need the amperage fairly low so my other tools don't blow breakers. I am kinda an LED junky but have never tried larger LED lights. Are they worth the money or should i stick to fluorescent? Thanks in advance!

·
John
3,028 Posts
I need some semi permanent shop lighting for a temporary shop I am setting up. It is 24x35 and the lights will be wired to a plug and run of extension cords from the house. I need the amperage fairly low so my other tools don't blow breakers. I am kinda an LED junky but have never tried larger LED lights. Are they worth the money or should i stick to fluorescent? Thanks in advance!
I like the LED's also but at the current cost of the things I haven't been able to justify them for larger areas. I have been going with T-8 and T-5 fluorescents. 10 - 4 foot T-8 two bulb fixtures will only draw just a little over 5 amps, T-5 would be less. Not sure if 10 fixtures would adequately light your 840 sq ft shop, to much depends on other factors but it should be close.
You really shouldn't have your lighting on the same circuit as your tools anyway.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I bought 2 x 18W LED lights, 40+ LED in each, for wood carving. 120 degree beam output. Fantastic for my old eyes. For that service, $45 each was on the high side. But, each is as bright as 150W incandescent and they always run cool enough to touch.

The down side is that all the electronics is built into the base of each bulb and they weigh 13.5oz each.
Worse yet, they spit out a huge amount of RFI (radio frequency interference) for a serious FM radio hum. However, the intensity trumps the RFI for my application.

I see, also, that you can buy 36" & 48" LED lamps as replacements for fluorescents!
That, I'd need to see & try for a day in shop condx, first. No idea of cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I Just purchased six four tube T-8 shop lights, three from Lowes Utilitech #GU9804-T8-BKSS and three from Home Depot Lithonia 1284GRD RE all were about $50 each plus tubes.

The Lowes feel cheep and required some assembly screws that were supplied didn't seem to fit right.
The HD felt much better constructed, no assembly other then installing tubes, came with wire metal cage to protect the tubes and has an electrical outlet built right in one end.

Both produce about the same amount of light and work well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts