Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at this box I made. Problem is the rounded corners stains way too dark. Am I just putting too much stain on it? Or is there a better way? All I am doing is sanding to 220 and then applying stain only. The rest of the wood is nice after a couple clear coats

OR am I being too crazy

Aaron

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The reason the corners are darker is that they are endgrain wood. Endgrain absorbs more stain.

To avoid it, you need to partially seal the end grain to it does not absorb as much stain.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
That's the nature of the beast my friend. Think of wood like a bunch of straws in your hand and the end of the straws are just like the end grain. They suck up more of whatever you are putting on, and because of that it gets darker.

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would you recommend to seal it? And yes soaking up more stain because it's endgrain makes perfect sense

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sanding the end grain with a finer grit than the rest does a good job of evening out the finish. You could probably leave the rest of the case at 150 or maybe 180 and only sand the corners to 220. If you want to sand the rest to 220, then go even finer on the corners. Experiment with some scrap would to see what grit combinations you like best.

If you want to even out the case, you may be able to darken the rest of the case with a gel stain. This takes some art, and I haven't personally had much luck with it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Take a look at this box I made. Problem is the rounded corners stains way too dark. Am I just putting too much stain on it? Or is there a better way? All I am doing is sanding to 220 and then applying stain only. The rest of the wood is nice after a couple clear coats

OR am I being too crazy

Aaron
what you have is blotching, the end grain will soak up more stain, open pour's in the wood, you need a blotch control to keep it from going darker even the flat side their is blotching, nice looking any way , watch this video

1 - 7 of 7 Posts