Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looks like good, solid construction with tight joints to me.
Welcome to the forum. I'll probably be picking your brain about restoration stuff...

·
Registered
789 Posts
I like the simple lines...matter of fact, as I get further into building projects, I think the more simple the plan, the better the look, I have heard women say the most difficult dress to make is a simple one....no place for a mistake to hide...a frilly dress is easy, since you can't see if it is perfect.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Nice job Jodie!

How do you edge your joints? Jointer? i haven't built anything to speak of in a while, but I never did care for a jointer. I always edge jointed with my table saw, shaper, or router table with a fence over twice the length of the piece.
i know this is sneered at but I never got the hang of a jointer. I finally sold it and at the time I did I was in my heyday of woodworking. I just never used it anymore at all and wanted the money and space it represented.

Nice work thanks for posting the pictures we love 'em! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I used a jointer. I wouldn't have but my stepdad had an extra one laying around so I inherited it. Sometimes if I dont' feel like getting the planer out I'll use the jointer for that too. I like using it but mine leaves little ridges that I have to sand out. I think that might just be from the wood sticking to the metal though.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yeah, my jointer collects dust, unless I'm dealing with something 3' or less. I now opt for the straightedge and router. It seems like I have more control with less waste on longer stock with the router.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that anyone who owns, and has mastered the use of a jointer can tell you what an indespenceable and valuable tool they are. Ive been doing woodworking over 40 years and wish i had a nickle for every person ive helped out on their jointer problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I teach high school furniture and cabinet making and can not imagine not using a jointer every day. It and the table saw are the 2 most used pieces of equipment in our shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts