Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.....now that the coffee table is built.....its time to get the end tables built. Here is the plan for them.....

Endtables.jpg

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Bottom Shelf is glued up. I glued up all three end tables bottom shelves in one piece. The cauls were a failure as pine isn't a good option, but luckily the wood didn't have much stress in it to begin with.

The tops are cut to width, now just to rip them down into random width pieces, and I can start gluing those up as well.

The tops are going to be 20 inches wide, and 25 deep.

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've found that auto cad cuts down on the number of pieces I cut 1/2 inch short. Lol.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two of the three tops glued up....and all three bottom shelves

Now my issue is finding someplace with a wide belt sander to smooth these out....the place I usually go is over by the in laws, but the guy closes weekends during the summer which means I can't get there between June and September.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Question in the first picture, I think they call them cawls how true do your boards come out or do you have a lot of work to do to finish to top.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thats a good question......word of wisdom....don't make them out of 2x4's ripped down the middle. When you tighten them......they bend and the centers come up....rendering them not only useless.....but almost make it worse.

Now I've used hardwood cauls before and clamped them with a c-clamp within the boundaries of the boards I was gluing up....and they worked well.

Now I always do my glue ups before planing the wood, as I buy 4/4 and finish it down to 3/4 or 7/8. So I'm leery of planing before gluing as it may end up coming out too thin all said and done. Therefore....there's a fair amount of sanding to do yet as none of the boards are the exact same thickness. Theres probably 1/16th to take off one side....and 1/8th on the other to get it perfect....

·
Registered
77 Posts
ryan50hrl said:
Well thats a good question......word of wisdom....don't make them out of 2x4's ripped down the middle. When you tighten them......they bend and the centers come up....rendering them not only useless.....but almost make it worse.

Now I've used hardwood cauls before and clamped them with a c-clamp within the boundaries of the boards I was gluing up....and they worked well.

Now I always do my glue ups before planing the wood, as I buy 4/4 and finish it down to 3/4 or 7/8. So I'm leery of planing before gluing as it may end up coming out too thin all said and done. Therefore....there's a fair amount of sanding to do yet as none of the boards are the exact same thickness. Theres probably 1/16th to take off one side....and 1/8th on the other to get it perfect....
Ok the last end table I built I just used scrap oak boards and used clamps but I like your bolt idea. Seems to cut down on the number of clamps and trying to get them all to fit.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem with building 3 of something....is I lose ambition after making 7 legs....and I've got 5 to go. Lol.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So next.....time to work on the cross members. I'm sure there's a dozen ways it could be done....but here's how I choose to do it. Again, planing down 3 pieces to 1/3 the thickness each, now my cross members will be 1.5 inch square, so i've cut 12 pieces 2 inch wide, 1/2 inch thick, and 17 3/4 long and 24 pieces 2 inch wide, 5/8 thick, and about 20 long (could have also been 17 3/4 which would have saved one step....more later)...

Then using the pictured miter gauge and a 1/2 inch wide dado, I cut first the center mortise, and then three additional each side of it utilizing the peg which is spaced at 1 1/4 between each mortise. Now each mortise is 1/2 x 1/2.

Using one notched piece, and 2 of the 5/8 inch wide pieces I glue them up creating a piece thats 2 x 1 3/4 x 20 After the glue dries, i'll cut it down to 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 17 3/4

Lastly....i'll just need to cut the tennons on the ends of the cross members and i'll be on to mortising the legs and cutting spindles.....

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I got a bit distracted from this project by my shop cart...but I'm back on track...so today I cut all the tennons on the cross pieces. Next onto the matching mortises.

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With all the tennons done, it was time to move onto mortises. All 1x1x1.25..after some adjusting with the mortiser hold down I'm happy to say it sailed through like a champ.....more on that in a different thread.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts