Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post but been reading here for about a year now. I retired a little over a year ago and decided to start doing some woodworking. I started simple and just finished this pocket knife display box. My question is it acceptable to show the end grain on projects like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
That's entirely up to you. If the carcass has box joints or through dovetails you're going to see end grain. If you don't want it show it, then mitered corners or half blind dovetails should be used. Really a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
That's entirely up to you. If the carcass has box joints or through dovetails you're going to see end grain. If you don't want it show it, then mitered corners or half blind dovetails should be used. Really a matter of personal preference.
My sentiments exactly. Ya beat me to it ! :smile:

·
Hunter
240 Posts
End grain or no end grain, that's a beautiful box. I don't see a thing wrong with it.

What did you use to make the drawer pulls?

Hunter

·
Registered
56 Posts
The box looks great. With the design of the box it would be tough to hide the end grain unless you puts some veneer or thin strips over it but I think it looks perfectly fine. I love the grain of the red oak.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Jim the box looks great. As far as the end grain..... did you remove the mill marks? Then fine. If you mitered the ends to remove the end grain. You may actually have less time and work in it because end grain is so tough to sand smooth.

Best off if you go ahead and post a picture with the knives in it. :)

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
I have no gripes about end grain being visible as long as it is cleaned up. I usually spend extra time sanding end grain as well and with a finer grit to finish and ensure that it is a smooth and uniform surface.

The box looks great and is some thing to be proud of. Keep it up!

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

I have no gripes about end grain being visible as long as it is cleaned up. I usually spend extra time sanding end grain as well and with a finer grit to finish and ensure that it is a smooth and uniform surface.

The box looks great and is some thing to be proud of. Keep it up!
+1. :yes:

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
I see nothing wrong with end grain. Box looks great, and besides most cutting boards have end grain and look good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies and complements. I did sand the end grain smooth with a finer grit sand paper all the way up to 600 grit so when stained and finished it would not be darker then the rest of the wood. The drawer pulls are made of 3/4" nylon webbing I found laying around. I tried to make everything that I could and only had to buy the lock, handles (drawer pull) and the plexiglass. The hinges I made from a piece of a 1/4" brass rod.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Sometimes showing the end grain with its tendency to become darker can be used as a design element. It all depends on the effect you are trying for in the end product.

That is a beautiful first project. You did real good. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts