Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally figured the best solution-FOR ME- to emptying my separator.

Before leaving the shop, I empty the separator into another 35 gal trash can with a bag in it.

After spending almost an hour yesterday emptying my separator and dust collector bag, (so much dust in the air, and I used a mask), I said never again, and came up with my solution.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to use a garbage bag in the chip separator? I am using a husky plastic 30 gal can for my separator and it has worked well. I would love to put a bag in the separator but haven't figured out how to keep it from getting sucked up by the DC. Maybe a couple good sized rocks in the bottom will keep it in place.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to use a garbage bag in the chip separator? I am using a husky plastic 30 gal can for my separator and it has worked well. I would love to put a bag in the separator but haven't figured out how to keep it from getting sucked up by the DC. Maybe a couple good sized rocks in the bottom will keep it in place.
I have an old concrete barbell weight that I use. I don't remember at the moment, but I think its a 25 lb weight and it's round so it fits nicely in the bottom.
I will admit that I once had forgotten about the weight and dumped the whole bag into the trash can. It just so happened that the trash can was empty and it made loud thud when it hit bottom otherwise it would have be gone forever. :yes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a drum collector. I take a large trash bag, set a piece of 1/2" PCV next to the drum, place a large trash bag over both (the bag fits snug around the drum), then turn the drum upside down. The bag has to be pulled fully over the drum, as if you were trying to place the drum completely inside the bag.

Once flipped over, I slowly begin pulling the drum up and the waste drops into the bag. The 1/2" PVC acts as a vent to allow air in so the drum can be more easily removed. Otherwise it creates too much of a vacuum. But the vacuum created keeps practically all of the dust in. It's only when you reach those last few inches, and the vacuum pressure is fully released, that dust can escape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.