Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an ambrosia maple bowl made for the Empty Bowls Project in Fort Worth next month.

_MG_3013_tiny.jpg

It is approximately 7½ inches in diameter. The exterior lacquer over silver paste and aniline dye. The interior is finished with pickling stain and lacquer then polished with Micro Mesh.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is the "Empty Bowl Project"? I am guessing some kind of feed the hungry campaign?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very nice, maybe a pic of the inside too! Is your club involved in the"empty bowl project". Great cause, our club does "Beads of Courage". For cancer kids.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Excellent bowl Bill. I did a 3 day demo for empty bowls about 5 years ago. I averaged about 8 bowls a day but that was on a mini lathe that was underpowered so I had to take it easy. Good cause.

·
Registered
763 Posts
That's fantastic, Bill. I donated some bowls to the McKinney, Tx Empty Bowls event last week and had a ball doing it. Kudos and good luck with the auction!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, everybody.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is the "Empty Bowl Project"? I am guessing some kind of feed the hungry campaign?
The Empty Bowls Project is a nationwide fund raiser for local food banks across the country. The great majority of bowls are made by potters, but glass, ceramic, and wood bowls are also included. Our local food bank says that the wooden bowls draw the most interest from the people who attend. Some local Empty Bowls events last through a weekend, but ours is always on a Friday at noon and goes for two hours. During that short length of time over a half million dollars was raised.

Very nice, maybe a pic of the inside too! Is your club involved in the"empty bowl project". Great cause, our club does "Beads of Courage". For cancer kids.
I have a shot from a slightly higher elevation angle. It wouldn't work well to shoot straight into the top because with the parabolic shape and high gloss it would be sort of like trying to take a picture of a mirror through a magnifying glass.

_MG_3017_tiny.jpg

The little dark ovals are created by the ambrosia fungus which enters the wood through tiny holes made by the ambrosia beetle. This image is too small to see the holes, but they are about the size of a #60 drill hole.

Excellent bowl Bill. I did a 3 day demo for empty bowls about 5 years ago. I averaged about 8 bowls a day but that was on a mini lathe that was underpowered so I had to take it easy. Good cause.
A bunch of our club members are doing lathe demos turning tops for the kids -- kids of all ages, lots of adults want the spin tops. There also are potters doing demonstrations of their work and several bands to provide entertainment.

I am hoping to finish about a dozen bowls before the deadline, but the cold weather is making it hard to get out and do any turning.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Great bowl! And great cause!
They haven't done that here yet.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you tell me a bit more about the silver paste please?
It is something that I found at Hobby Lobby when looking for metal leaf. It comes in a small tube about the same size as artist's paints and about the same consistency. It is actually called Silver Leaf Rub 'N Buff. Just a little dab was enough for this bowl. I wanted to tint the wood, but not make it look painted. The photo doesn't really show it, but the grain is faintly visible through the silver paste and dye.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That may be the most awesome bowl ever. I'm no expert, but I'm just sayin'...
Wow, that's a pretty hefty compliment. I'll pass the word along to the Tarrant Area Food Bank so that they can move it up to the professional artist auction. :smile:

I had a large mesquite winged natural edge bowl last year that made it to the mid-level "bump table" where the person pays an additional $50 and gets to choose one that is a step above what you get normally get to choose at the basic price of admission.

_MG_0514_web_tiny.jpg

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is not a BOWL!! It is a work of ART!!! I thought I was in the amateur class, that bowl put me in the KIDDY POOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bill, is the cat your shop buddy ??? My old black tom cat visits me when the door is open....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Registered
885 Posts
Bill Boehme said:
Thanks for the replies, everybody. The Empty Bowls Project is a nationwide fund raiser for local food banks across the country. The great majority of bowls are made by potters, but glass, ceramic, and wood bowls are also included. Our local food bank says that the wooden bowls draw the most interest from the people who attend. Some local Empty Bowls events last through a weekend, but ours is always on a Friday at noon and goes for two hours. During that short length of time over a half million dollars was raised. I have a shot from a slightly higher elevation angle. It wouldn't work well to shoot straight into the top because with the parabolic shape and high gloss it would be sort of like trying to take a picture of a mirror through a magnifying glass. The little dark ovals are created by the ambrosia fungus which enters the wood through tiny holes made by the ambrosia beetle. This image is too small to see the holes, but they are about the size of a #60 drill hole. A bunch of our club members are doing lathe demos turning tops for the kids -- kids of all ages, lots of adults want the spin tops. There also are potters doing demonstrations of their work and several bands to provide entertainment. I am hoping to finish about a dozen bowls before the deadline, but the cold weather is making it hard to get out and do any turning.
How many bowls do you think you sell for that kind of a return. That is a lot of money seeing many of these Empty bowl events charge less than 15 dollars to eat. Some are only 5$

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How many bowls do you think you sell for that kind of a return. That is a lot of money seeing many of these Empty bowl events charge less than 15 dollars to eat. Some are only 5$
Our food bank has different levels of tickets. The basic level is $50. For really big money there are the patrons and sponsors. The wooden bowls are just a drop in the bucket compared to the number of pottery and glass bowls. There are bump tables as well as silent and live auctions. That is where the serious money comes from. Our local event has expanded beyond just bowls and includes other types of art as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts