Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Got a question for you who have perform electrolysis. I have torn down my old craftsman saw, for reasons unknown. I am gonna give electrolysis a try on some of the parts to clean her up.

My question is what harm, if any, would it do to the arbor bearing if I submerge it inti the bath? Hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks - Johnny

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While it is apart you may as well replace the bearings, they don't cost that much.
FrankC - It's a fairly old saw. From what I can tell, it was made in the 70's. Is it possible to find one that would match?

It's seems to be in pretty good condition. Smooth action when turning. Just worried that it would be damaged by electrolysis. I guess if it is, I could replace it then.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
FrankC - It's a fairly old saw. From what I can tell, it was made in the 70's. Is it possible to find one that would match?

It's seems to be in pretty good condition. Smooth action when turning. Just worried that it would be damaged by electrolysis. I guess if it is, I could replace it then.
Yep, if it's a craftsman there's a very good chance the part is still available. Go to Sears Parts Services.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohhh man

Yep, if it's a craftsman there's a very good chance the part is still available. Go to Sears Parts Services.
Guess you didn't see my thread about my new'ish Craftsman table saw and Sears Parts Services. It took them over a month to ship me a $4 part that they said they had in stock. Every week I got an email saying it was on back order. Just recently got the part so still a little heart burn with them.

I am sure it was a fluke occurrence but man.

I don't need a new bearing right now as what I am doing is somewhat experimental, but it's good to know that if I do damage it, I have some options.

Thanks

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Sorry, I meant to also answer the actual question and got distracted! :smile:

Electrolysis strips ions without discrimination and at varying rates on different alloys. I don't really like electrolysis for that reason. There are other options like acid but I think the safest way to go is a good cleaning / degreaser then Evaporust.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I doubt the bearings are purpose made for the saw. You should be able to find suitable bearings elsewhere. There maybe a number on them you can match up, or you could measure inside, outside and thickness and go from there. You can usually get better quality bearings aftermarket than from the mfg., and the cost is not much more. Sometimes less!

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I meant to also answer the actual question and got distracted! :smile:

Electrolysis strips ions without discrimination and at varying rates on different alloys. I don't really like electrolysis for that reason. There are other options like acid but I think the safest way to go is a good cleaning / degreaser then Evaporust.
Lol. No problem. I have the evaporust and will probably do it on yhis particular part. The other sections I want to give it a try on. I have seen some good results from timetestedtools and ithers on somen of the handplanes so I figures what the hay.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol. No problem. I have the evaporust and will probably do it on yhis particular part. The other sections I want to give it a try on. I have seen some good results from timetestedtools and ithers on somen of the handplanes so I figures what the hay.
Here's a photo of the part. As you can see its pretty rusty.

ForumRunner_20130719_200159.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Bearing are a stock item, just take them to a bearing house and they will match them up for you by the numbers stamped on the side.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I doubt the bearings are purpose made for the saw. You should be able to find suitable bearings elsewhere. There maybe a number on them you can match up, or you could measure inside, outside and thickness and go from there. You can usually get better quality bearings aftermarket than from the mfg., and the cost is not much more. Sometimes less!
Very good likelihood that you will find exact bearing.

G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts