Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this unknown motor I was refurbishing because it sounded horrible, took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the bearings etc etc but when I put it back together and powered it up, I heard an arc and it began smoking. When I cracked it open the wire that leads from the centrifugal switch to the power center was completely burnt. Is there something I'm missing here? Did I miswire the leads backwards? The other wire leads to the starting capacitor.

·
Registered
26,955 Posts
Since the wire burned up I would have a professional motor shop look at it. If the motor isn't already ruined you might do more damage to it tinkering with it. It's possible the windings are burned right now and the motor isn't worth fixing. They can evaluate it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
Since the wire burned up I would have a professional motor shop look at it. If the motor isn't already ruined you might do more damage to it tinkering with it. It's possible the windings are burned right now and the motor isn't worth fixing. They can evaluate it pretty quickly.
Good advise.

George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts