Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1X10X10 S2S red oak board. I will cut this down to 1X2 for face frame material. I do not have a joiner, so would clamp them together upright and run my belt sander over them. Instead could I screw these together face to face, 4 total and run them through my surface planer?

Of course making sure the screws do not contact the blade! JIm

·
where's my table saw?
30,347 Posts
sure

I don't know if screws are really necessary. Double sided tape or a dab or 2 of hot melt glue would also work.

A good blade should leave a minimum of saw marks so that's all that's coming off anyway. The slowest rate of feed will work best on the planer, but you may not have any choice, like you would have on a jointer. :blink:

Reactions: jjrbus

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have done this several times on face frames. I cut them slightly over sized and run them thru the planer to remover any saw marks. With 1" by 2" you don't need screws, tape or hot glue. Just put them side by side and run them through the planer. However you do need one side of each of the 1" by 2" to be flat to do this.
Tom

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, always appreciated! Seemed like a good idea, but better to ask. I was going to screw them for stability, I was not sure if they would want to tip or not.

JIm

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I used to use short Jorgies to clamp them for the planer. Found that it wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a screw in the leading end of 4 1X2X10 to keep them manageable and ran them through as one unit. It worked very well.

I may try running a single piece of 1X3 through the planer ( Dewalt DW735) to see how it works? It just does not look right.

I am working in the driveway, the garage and the lanai off cobbled together work surfaces not a well equipped shop. JIm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts