Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Delta feed through planner. I was wanting to edge plane a board that is 7/8" thick and 2" wide about 3' long. Can this be edge planned and if so what is the narrowest width you would edge plane on this type of machine? I'm afraid of the board tipping over and all the nasty's that would cause.

Mike

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I would not be afraid of tip-over on a piece that wide. I have run 1/2" through I am pretty sure. Just make sure of the following if you are wanting to "joint" or put a straight edge on the board:

• The infeed and out feed tables must be at least as long as the stock you are feeding through
  • the "crown" if you have one, even a slight one, must be up so the board will not rock like a seesaw, even imperceptibly
  • Light passes must be taken so that the top rollers will not depress the stock and allow it to gradually spring back up as it goes through
  • You must have been extra careful to have cut a perfect 90 degree edge when you ripped on your table saw.
After all that, make sure you have not removed more width than what you had intended. :smile:

Whatchya making?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, great info. I didn't think of any of that. I'm just wanting to clean the edges and hopefully straighten it some. I'm making legs for a bassinette my DD drug home from a yard sale. It had a swing setup (broken). But I'm gonna make it stationary. Just wanted to make sure it was strong as this is for my #7 grandchild due in June.
Thanks

Mike

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I did forget to mention you can clamp a couple of wider, but shorter pieces to your work piece and run it through the planer. You have to be careful not to allow the clamos to contact the planer knives. Talk about nasty.
Also, it's easy to get the edge off the 90 degree mark your shooting for with this method but you can slide the whole shooting match up against a known true 90 and clamp the dickes out of it on each end so that the small, lighweight but sturdy clamps will stay well below those hungry knives.
I'd use the other method but just sock this one away, it'll come in handy one day. I've had to do it, although I cannot remember the exact circumstances why now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
TexasTimebers beat me to it. That is the way I use a planer to edge plane. I usually take a couple of boards and clamp them to the piece in the middle. I like to use the outer boards about 4" inches longer on each end. This will avoid any snipe on the ends. I hate snipe and been only hunting one time for it.

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
I would not recomend clamping boards and then run them through any plainer. Not a very safe thing to do unless your confidence level is way up!!! Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts