Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a project from 1/4" Birch Plywood with many exposed edges. I thought I would be able to locate some 1/4" hot glue banding to give it a better finished look. The closest I've been able to find is 13/16". I've never worked with this type of banding, is it possible to just glue a 1/4" width at time then cutting off the excess to use? Is there a better way to approach the problem that I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance for you ideas.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

I'm building a project from 1/4" Birch Plywood with many exposed edges. I thought I would be able to locate some 1/4" hot glue banding to give it a better finished look. The closest I've been able to find is 13/16". I've never worked with this type of banding, is it possible to just glue a 1/4" width at time then cutting off the excess to use? Is there a better way to approach the problem that I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance for you ideas.
You could just split the edge banding lengthwise with a straightedge and a utility knife. You can get two widths that leave some to file off.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I have never tried it, but I have a feeling that it is going to be difficult to get good adhesion on 1/4 inch.

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts