Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a set of plans that calls for 1/16" chamfers into each piece of wood that goes into the project. It says that it'll help disguise minor gaps between the boards. The plans say "to hand chamfer 1/16" chamfers" and also to "use a 45 degree router to cut 1/16" chamfers into the edges".

I'm guessing to "hand chamfer" is just to do a light sand on the corners to round it out? Using the router table is just taking the 45 degree chamfer bit and setting it to a height of 1/16" and running the edges through it?

Which one is better? I want clean, VERY slightly rounded rounded edges...

Thanks.

·
Fastener Fan
22 Posts
I don't have a good answer, but I did once lose a spelling bee on the word "chamfer." Figured it'd have two Fs like "chauffeur." Ha, even the forum's spellcheck isn't recognizing the correct spelling.

So what I'm saying is, I hope you dominate those chamfers.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
First, a chamfer is at an angle, not rounded over. As for what's easier/better, that all depends upon what tools/skills you have. With a good, sharp low angle block plane, one can cut those chamfers before you can get your bit in your router and set the depth. If you're not familiar with doing this with hand tools, then the router will give you more consistent results.

·
7,222 Posts
It is not easy to get a consistent chamfer of only 1/16th. The old craftsmen could do this easily with a block plane, but it does take practice.

It will be fast with a block plane, but it will be more consistent with the router.

If you want a rounded edge, I would hand sand. I think you can purchase 1/16in roundover bits. The smallest I use is 1/8in roundover.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I have a 1/16" roundover but I have to look close to see any difference between it and a square edge. I know I wouldn't see the difference between a roundover and a champfer. Personally, I never became all that good friends with planes so I would do it on a router table.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts