Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have client presentation drawings they have done in either eCabinets or Microvellum? Dimensioned and detailed? Can you pdf them for viewing? What's your opinion of ecabinets? Microvellum? I'm researching the value that either might present as an addition to a 2d Autocad based approach to drafting plans and shop drawings at our shop. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry I can't be of any help

on those programs. I use Cabinet Planner. While it does acceptable renderings and allows for rudimentary 3D viewing, tat is not it's strong suite. It allows me to describe to the software how I prefer to build cabinets and casework. Then, all I need do is select a style of cabinet, place it on the wall and describe it's width. The software then breaks it down into it's dimensioned component parts.

Ed

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
Fred; Ecabs will do everything you mentioned without the need for any additional cad work. I have it however I am not that good with it. Have you joined the Ecab forum?. There is nothing that you cannot find an answer to there. It is hosted by Thermwood who are the originators and writers to the program. Easy to find by going to WWW.THERMWOOD.COM opening screen, list on left side, click on ecabs. we have a direct link but brainfart right now.
Be glad to help with what little I can do with it.
PM me or send email direct, In fact email me and I will get you in contact with one of their guru's
[email protected].
I also trust you know that you can get the program for FREE UNLIKE Microvellum. Once they confirm you are cabinetshop zap ya gots it LOL LOL

Jack

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
I use eCabs but not MV. The program can do just about anything you need it to do. Here are a few of my renderings. The guys who really know what they are doing can put me to shame.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the eCabs and KCDw. I haven't messed with the eCabs much yet but have heard mostly praise for it. I downloaded it because I'll be installing a Thermwood router in the next 18-24 months and am going to start taking the classes next spring or summer. I use the KCDw for renderings, elevations and 3-d layouts and like it but think life will be simpler to stick with the proprietary system.

There's a little magazine that Thermwood puts out that has been a help to me. It helps to acclimate me to this new world of compu-cabinetmaking. I've found Kerry Fullington's articles and posts on other forums to be a tremendous resource and would suggest you look him up.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
KERRY ROCKS :thumbsup::yes::laughing:. Dan also. Leo LEO man thats goooooooood :}:}:}:}:}:}

It takes a high end graphics card to make the shadowing look good with eCabs, I don't have a high end card, just a hum drum one. The renderings of the guys who have a top notch (pricey) card have renderings that look very real. Almost all of my cabinets I build are custom, I rarely use another cabinet that I have made and put in my library. The program would be much easier to use for me if I had standard cabinets, but that is what makes this a good program. You can design almost any type of cabinet design you can think of. Again, I have never used MV and have no idea what it's capabilities are. I do know that the price was right on the eCabs program though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your responses

I am also posting qureires at eCabinets forums. We have the software, but mostly rely on Autocad because of its superior drafting presentation. The 3-d renderings of e-cabinets are wonderful. I have heard from Kerry at eCabinets. The quest for a single drawing to machine source continues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts