Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I am new to the forum and I appreciate any words of advice you can pass along. I am liming a tabletop that I have stained ebony. I used a brass brush to open up the grain and sprayed a thin coat of shellac on it after the stain had dried. Then I rubbed on the liming wax. When I remove the excess I am left with the white in the grain like I had hoped for but I am also left with a haze over the whole top that will not buff off. Where did I go wrong?

·
Registered
27,296 Posts
Hello there! I am new to the forum and I appreciate any words of advice you can pass along. I am liming a tabletop that I have stained ebony. I used a brass brush to open up the grain and sprayed a thin coat of shellac on it after the stain had dried. Then I rubbed on the liming wax. When I remove the excess I am left with the white in the grain like I had hoped for but I am also left with a haze over the whole top that will not buff off. Where did I go wrong?
Try rolling up a rag in a tight ball and dampen it with mineral spirits and wipe the haze off. Don't use much pressure or you will wipe the pickle out of the grain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts