Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on ebay to see all the different kinds of antique chest of drawers to get ideas on my current build and future builds. I found one really nice piece for a buy it now price of $275 and the listing was called "walnut chest of drawers". I first thought that was a great price until I realized it was made of pine with a walnut finish. In the description it stated that it was made of real wood, no particle board.

People will tell you anything to make a buck!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
True that. With eBay it's "caveat emptor", but do realize there are a lot of naive sellers and buyers out there, along with too many unscrupulous users. Generally I won't buy unless I see really good pics and have good contact with the seller.
Dave H

·
Registered
645 Posts
Usually the seller doesn't even know what they're talking about.

Seriously how many times has someone told you "Yeah this thing is made of REAL wood!!!" - they're being totally honest because they don't even know it's laminated MDF.

Curtis

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I agree...there are sellers out there trying I pull one over on people...but many on here can't easily distinguish between species of wood, now have someone who's going off of just color. I can't tell you how many houses I've been in where the owners think they have cherry or walnut floors....and I've had to explain we can't say they're cherry floors when they're really oak with cherry stain....or even worse...cherry colored laminate.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah I like how one particular dark colored finish always gets pushed off as cherry or cherry finish. The professional eBay sellers have really screwed up garage sale sand auctions in this area. They will try and buy super cheap or get in on the first round or few of bidding thinking they can pick something up cheap bust drop it when they see others are willing to pay what something is worth.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
A lot of Ebay sellers have no clue what they are selling. Some couldn't tell walnut from pine. They go by the color or what someone else told them. Look at how many hand planes are listed as block planes, often with the words rare or antique added for an ordinary plane from the 80's. Just as many clueless buyers, too. In general, if something is worthwhile on Ebay, there will be quite a few bids on it, not just one or two.

·
Super Moderator
4,397 Posts
I've had people tell me that they have a nice cherry kitchen only to go there and tell them it was maple. They would argue with me, telling me they we told it was cherry. They argued with me until I take a hinge cup out of its 35mm hole only to find a bright white wood.

They are usually not pleased.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts