Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wifeypoo needs shop truck tomorrow......thought you-all might like to see some of the handtools coming off.These are no-nonsense tools,some of which were passed to my father from his father.They've been in constant service for over a hundred years.

There's a big difference in "having" to use handtools....and "wanting" to use them.I can list a cpl dz reasons that we have to use them,even today....can you?

Attachments

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
The main reason is to earn a living. My first miter saw looks like that one. Coping saws...an absolute...can't cope with out them. A hammer, well that's given. Those chisels look like Stanleys...my favorites. Hand planes and handsaw, are a staple for in shop and on site work.

I've got a few well worn stones. BTW, I like that dolly.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Some observers have been critical of my use of hand tools for practically all aspects of wood carving, right up to the basic shaping of a 3" x 12" x 65" piece. Hand tools match the pace of my thought process for the form, the shape. Another 1/4" here, oops! stop 1/8" short of the mark over there.
My power tools are not big nor expensive and I'll flick the switch at every reasonable opportunity to same me (what turns out to be) a lot of time.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wifeypoo needs shop truck tomorrow......thought you-all might like to see some of the handtools coming off.These are no-nonsense tools,some of which were passed to my father from his father.They've been in constant service for over a hundred years.

There's a big difference in "having" to use handtools....and "wanting" to use them.I can list a cpl dz reasons that we have to use them,even today....can you?
Nice looking tools! I just bought an old Langdon miter box: I may never use my chop saw again. (Well, I will if I'm building another deck. Not for small projects, though.)

I have an excellent reason that I have to use hand tools: There's no electricity in my shop! The wiring out there supports one non-grounded outlet, and I can't afford to upgrade the wiring right now. I could move the shop into the basement, but there's only one reachable outlet down there, and I'd need to unplug the dehumidifier to use it.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One big reason is dust mitigation.....If you look at every one of the above handtools and compare it with it's "power'd" counterpart.........think of the dust.This is no small problem working in really nice homes.....or our lungs for that matter.

Will admit a tiny bit of selfishness in putting them on the loading dock.Needed to mow grass field out back.......got to look at them every lap,haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts