Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had this unit for about 3 years now. I am trying to spray lacquer with it and getting very frustrated. I have the finest tip available installed. I have tried all different settings on the gun. Bought a new gun at one point. Same problems. Has anyone had any success spraying lacquers with this unit?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have you checked the viscosity? The cup that came with that machine is calibrated for various fluids using the preinstalled 2mm tip and needle set they recommend 25-50 seconds to run through it. When you changed the tip, did you also change the needle?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have sprayed latex through this machine. Actually with similar results. It just seems like it struggles with atomization.
But no, I haven't sprayed lacquer in any other machine before.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you thin the latex with floetrol or water before spraying it?

Check out your flexible tube air feed for signs of latex intrusion. I had a siphon gun that had dried latex constricting the air flow on both sides of a check valve once!

If you have done all that and you have played with all the various settings, you need to get on the phone with Earlex and get them to make this right for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought you were asking about the latex from an experience standpoint. I actually bought a separate gun strictly for lacquer. I have been pouring through articles lately. I have found that lacquer can be finicky. I live in New Orleans,where the humidity is almost always at 100%. It could be that my weather is affecting my outcome.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I thought you were asking about the latex from an experience standpoint. I actually bought a separate gun strictly for lacquer. I have been pouring through articles lately. I have found that lacquer can be finicky. I live in New Orleans,where the humidity is almost always at 100%. It could be that my weather is affecting my outcome.
The hot weather will cause the lacquer to blush, true, but your problem as described is coming out of the gun, not drying issues.
Lacquer is easy enough to atomize, so there is a pressure problem most likely. If the gun was only used for lacquer, maybe a strip down and thorough cleaning of all the components in thinner is in order.

What confused me is when you mentioned that this happened on a new gun <<Bought a new gun at one point.>> I thought maybe you had used the gun for latex at one point.

What exactly is the problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.