Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious whether anyone has info on using dyes made from bark/leaves to stain wood.

Where I live (thailand), they don't sell woodstain.... or rather, anything with color in it will also have some sort of resin in it (poly etc) or it will be a colored shellac. (They're supposed to be convenient, I guess.) The only other choice is pigments - japanese printers inks - which are a mess and don't work well with many of the woods here.

I have noticed people making natural dyes out of, for example, padauk bark and jackfruit leaves, which they boil and then use to stain cotton. I've asked these folks about using the dyes on wood but I have received only blank stares in response.

My own unscientific attempts were not very successful. Does anyone know about this sort of thing? Would it be feasible to mix such dyes with turpentine, or some other vehicle for getting it to absorb without raising grain?

Thanks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't know if this is any help,but I have made a water soluble dye from the husks of black walnut. It made a beautiful dark brown dye. While I used it on wood I read that native americans used it to color cloth.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Jerry.
I'm curious: When you stained the wood, did you put it on straight? Hot water or cold? Did you let it soak? Mix any alcohol or MS? How many coats? Did it fade?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used it at room temperature and added nothing else. Apply like a bus boy wipes a table,use a sponge and squeeze the excess back into the container. What ever you do wear good rubber or nitrile gloves dyes take forever to wear off. When the color was what I wanted I applied a spit coat of shellac and then your top coat of choice. There has been very little(if any fading). Since I have access to many stains including dye stains, I wouldn't do this again,more work than I want.

Regards

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts