Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks: anyone know how this physically works? My "new" 4-year old machine depth sop does not seem to work at all. Will tear it apart, but was wondering if anyone had similar experience.

Thanks,

Blue

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
bluespook said:
Hi, folks: anyone know how this physically works? My "new" 4-year old machine depth sop does not seem to work at all. Will tear it apart, but was wondering if anyone had similar experience.

Thanks,
Blue
It's a very basic stop. As you turn the stop to different setting it changes the height of a mechanical stop. You should have a stud mounted to the base of the planner that has two nuts on it. This allows for adjusting the stop. You can see this rod (stud) external to the stop adjustment. If it's not there the stop will not work. It is easy to take the adjustment apart. There is only one screw in the center of the adjustment knob. However, these is a set screw on the knob also. You need to loose the set screw to take the tension off a spring that keeps pressure on a bb type ball. The only purpose of this is to lock the setting in its location. The spring will force the bb into a recess to keep the knob from turning on its own. Be careful as you remove the knob as the bearing can fall out. It's very simple to reassemble. Attach knob. Insert bb in hole followed by spring. Then reinstall set screw. This may sound complicated but it is very simple, just don't drop the bb.
Tom

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's a very basic stop. As you turn the stop to different setting it changes the height of a mechanical stop. You should have a stud mounted to the base of the planner that has two nuts on it. This allows for adjusting the stop. You can see this rod (stud) external to the stop adjustment. If it's not there the stop will not work. It is easy to take the adjustment apart. There is only one screw in the center of the adjustment knob. However, these is a set screw on the knob also. You need to loose the set screw to take the tension off a spring that keeps pressure on a bb type ball. The only purpose of this is to lock the setting in its location. The spring will force the bb into a recess to keep the knob from turning on its own. Be careful as you remove the knob as the bearing can fall out. It's very simple to reassemble. Attach knob. Insert bb in hole followed by spring. Then reinstall set screw. This may sound complicated but it is very simple, just don't drop the bb.
Tom
Tom sums it all up.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You did not describe what it's doing or not doing. I will just add if the set screw in the adjusting knob has backed out due to vibration or some other reason the adjustment knob will not stay in position and just turn. If the rod attached to the base and going into the bottom of the adjustment knob is there I would suspect the set screw has backed out to be the most probable cause.
Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TomC and others. Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention problem. The stop does not work...at least not as I think it should. I raised to 2 inches (above 1-1/4) then set stop at one inch. Planed the board and planed below one inch. Thought it should have prevented me from accidentally going below one inch.

Will take it apart in morning and see what's what. Thanks for explanation.

Blue

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
bluespook said:
TomC and others. Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention problem. The stop does not work...at least not as I think it should. I raised to 2 inches (above 1-1/4) then set stop at one inch. Planed the board and planed below one inch. Thought it should have prevented me from accidentally going below one inch.

Will take it apart in morning and see what's what. Thanks for explanation.

Blue
Without a board or the planner running if you set it a 1" will it stop any where as you lower the planner head. There is a adjustment you can make on the rod I mentioned before. It effects all height. If you adjust the one inch setting up a set amount it will adjust all settings up that amount. Also, has the thickness setting ever worked?
Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just now went to my shop and checked it out. With comments in mind, it is a simple mechanism. Turns out that the nut on the exterior stop post was loose, allowing the post to vibrate down. I adjusted it and tightened the nut...SHAZAM, it works! You mentioned two nuts, TomC, and that makes sense for a lock. I'll dig up another and add it.

Thanks,

Blue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts