Woodworking Talk banner

Does the dewalt 735 YOU own produce snipe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my interest is up....in another thread were having a discussion about dewalt planers and snipe. If and only if you have a dewalt 735 or have owned one in the past 5 years, can you comment on if your planer produces measurable snipe?

I added a poll so if you could choose yes or no there as well that would be great.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
ryan50hrl said:
So my interest is up....in another thread were having a discussion about dewalt planers and snipe. If and only if you have a dewalt 735 or have owned one in the past 5 years, can you comment on if your planer produces measurable snipe?
I use one on a regular basis. I basically get no snipe. I do have the optional infeed and outfeed tables. Before I built my shop and worked out of my garage and had to move equipment often I would get snipe at times. This was due to the infeed/outfeed table getting bumped and out of adjustment. Once they were realigned the snipe was eliminated.
Tom

·
Registered
834 Posts
I got the optional tables with the planer and installed right away and never seen any snipe at all unless it was caused by myself.

·
TheShadeTreeWW
98 Posts
I too have the tables. No snipe!:no:
Smokey

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Note: No poll option on iPad ap. I first purchased my DW735X approx Sept '12. I installed the infeed/outfeed tables per the manufacturers instructions. I have also tried them slightly turned up to the ends by 1/8" per recommendations on this site but no difference in results. I have used my planer about 5 times in the last 16 months and all results except the most recent 1 were similar. For the first 4 times, I ended up with about 6" of snipe on both ends. These tasks involving planing boards 6-9' long. For the most recent job, my board was about 4' long. This time virtually no noticeable snipe. On all occasions, I hold the ends up while going in and switch to hold it while coming out. Also, I never take more than 1/32" off and I run on high speed cutters all the time as I figure twice the blade rotation is better than less.

I have come to accept snipe as part of the process and figure this into my measurements.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If I lift the boards up when feeding/taking them out, no snipe. If I don't, it's up in the air whether I get a very small amount or not.

·
7,222 Posts
I have the DeWalt infeed and outfeed tables. I have adjusted so they are higher at infeed and outfeed ends. I always try lifting the board when feeding and removing.

No matter what I do I get snipe, worse than my previous Delta 22-580.

For my projects I am not able to waste 3in at either end.

The snipe causes me to not use the planer as much as I would like to use it. Very frustrating.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I have the DeWalt infeed and outfeed tables. I have adjusted so they are higher at infeed and outfeed ends. I always try lifting the board when feeding and removing.

No matter what I do I get snipe.

The snipe causes me to not use the planer as much as I would like to use it. Very frustrating.
This is what I was basically saying, except I seem to get more than 3" at each end.

·
where's my table saw?
29,626 Posts
a sure cure for snipe

No matter what I do I get snipe, worse than my previous Delta 22-580.

This is what I was basically saying, except I seem to get more than 3" at each end.
Why not just feed some scrap immediately following your workpiece to prevent the feed rollers from releasing their pressure.
It's not the most technical cure, but it has always worked for me when the occasional piece wasn't a true thickness from end to end.:yes:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I've only had mine for a year but haven't noticed any.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Why not just feed some scrap immediately following your workpiece to prevent the feed rollers from releasing their pressure.
It's not the most technical cure, but it has always worked for me when the occasional piece wasn't a true thickness from end to end.:yes:
At the risk of sounding like a dumba$$, if I use scraps at the end do they need to be the same thickness? Or is a little thicker/thinner ok?

BTW, one reason I haven't done that as I always work alone and can't be feeding in a 2nd piece when I'm at the other end suporting the outfeed.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They need to be the same thickness or a hair thicker.

But yourself a 15 dollar roller stand to stick on the outfeed end to catch the boards.

·
where's my table saw?
29,626 Posts
that won't matter

At the risk of sounding like a dumba$$, if I use scraps at the end do they need to be the same thickness? Or is a little thicker/thinner ok?

BTW, one reason I haven't done that as I always work alone and can't be feeding in a 2nd piece when I'm at the other end suporting the outfeed.
Whether you use a roller support or not, the scraps will push or your piece out. Who cares if they come out sniped? They can be short, 12" or so. Roller supports are a huge help. The problem is with a adjustable bed planer they are always at the lower height and have to be constantly adjusted a bit higher. With a fixed height bed you are all set, since the cutters lower down on to the beds/workpiece.
The scraps go through the planer so they will be the same thickness as the workpiece...whatever that is. :yes: Try it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have dw735x (with tables). I had snipe out of box but after I readjusted the tables I have almost zero snipe. Sometimes there is a small snipe but I think this is my fault. Either I do not support long stock or insert stock with angle.

·
Registered
328 Posts
When we use a lunchbox planer, the only one I've ever bought was the very first model Delta, which probably has the worst snipe of any one ever built. I'm sure since whenever it was that they came out with this model, every other one has tried to make an improvement.

With that said, we don't ever even use the extra infeed and out feed tables. We just hold up on the board as it enters the machine, and as the last of it exits-to the point of picking up the back end of the planer. We never get snipe when we do that, and it still does a pretty remarkable job for an old POS. That includes running 2x framing lumber, up to 2x12x16s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts