Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the blades on my Dewalt DW734 planer, and now when I turn it on, there is LOUD and obvious vibration. Did I miss something? I have checked and rechecked all screws and even went back through the installation process a 2nd time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
To say that you did or did not "miss something" would be pure speculation. At this point in time the only concern I would have, is correcting the issue.

My suggestion would be to remove the blades, screws and clamps entirely down to the bare arbor. Turn the machine on and see if the vibration is there without any blades in place. This will eliminate any issue that is NOT blade related.

Then I would compare the new blades. Are the all EXACTLY the same to each other new blade? Are they all exactly the same as the old blades?

If that checks out OK, I'd then do a 3rd install, being especially meticulous in my procedure. Then turn the machine on to check the results.

Other than the above, I have no alternate advise except maybe take the entire machine to a service center or contact DeWalt about your issue. Hope you get it resolved.

·
where's my table saw?
27,743 Posts
I would add a step ....

Before removing all the blades and screws .....
If that planer has a muliti-groove belt, inspect the belt for damage on the bottom especially. See if the pulleys are secure on the shafts.

Next ....

Use the most accurate small scale you have, a postal scale, a reloading power scale, a digital scale even a balance and weigh each blade separately writing down the measurement to the hundredths of a gram, if possible? OR using the balance, compare them for equal weights. In this method the actual weight is irrelevant, they just need to be all the same.

Make certain they are all new freshly sharpened blades and and old one didn't get mixed in. :surprise2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts