Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the Woodcraft trash can separator powered by the Harbor Freight (gasp) 13 gallon unit. It is dedicated to my table saw, nothing else.

It is about as basic as I could make it. Remove the 2x's from underneath and slide the can out and dump it. Set it back in place and replace the 2x's to raise it up. I'll add the rest of the braces before I move it to my other building where my TS lives. The idea was to not take up a lot of floor space.

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts
Reactions: adot45

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links....I've heard the same tales about the HF bags. There is also an argument for letting the bag fill with fines a few times by running it without a separator. That's supposed to increase it's filtration efficiency ......I don't really know. Actually, what I am considering is once I get this unit moved over to where it will be permanent, I plan to vent right through the wall to the outside. Or mount the bag outside if that was an issue but venting outside is the objective. This is the 1 hp unit and it moves quite a bit of air. If for some reason I don't vent outside I will replace the bag and thanks again for the links. Dave

·
Registered
489 Posts
Could always remove the bag and pipe the exhaust outside, that is what I do. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Could always remove the bag and pipe the exhaust outside, that is what I do. :)
That depends on where you live - in cold weather country you dont want to be moving a lot of heated air out of the shop in mid winter !

I do agree about the bag though, poor filtration releases the finest and therefore most dangerous particles into the shop, possibly worse than letting them fall to the floor under the TS. A better filter would be good.

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts
a little physics here

Air in = air out in an ideal world. The real world has losses due to friction, and restriction. The reason a pleated filter is more efficient is it has more surface area to allow the air out. Other wise with restrictions, the air starts to compress, think turbo charger, and bags restrict the air more than a pleated cannister type filter. Now take a "clogged" bag, sure, it won't allow the finer dust through, in fact it won't allow very much air through either. No restriction, no bag, no filter, is most efficient.
Now there may be another law of physics involved, I donno I'm a art school graduate, but blowers need a bit of restriction to operate efficiency as far as I know. Check this site out under CFM ... motors may burn up....
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/dc_basics.cfm#ResistanceCalculation

1 - 7 of 7 Posts