Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I purchased a used drum sander, similar to Jet 16-32. I need to buy a dust extractor for it. Could you please give me an advice? It should be quite small since I have limited space.
Thanks Enrico

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hello,
I purchased a used drum sander, similar to Jet 16-32. I need to buy a dust extractor for it. Could you please give me an advice? It should be quite small since I have limited space.
Thanks Enrico
If space is a big issue, I'm pretty sure your options are either a small 3/4 or 1 hp dust collector or a shop vac.

I've seen one that used a shop vac, but it wasn't very effective. The smaller DC might be a good option because I know some of them can be wall mounted which will save you space.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Drum sanders generate very fine dust, so it would pay to have tight filtration, 1 micron or less, to trap all the dust.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
dust "extractor"

That description seems to be a specific type of dust collector manily by Festool if I am correct.
Dust collection falls into the following types:
1. Shop vac used alone
2. Shop vac with a cyclone type or other separator, Thein baffle or Dust Deputy and single stage bags and a blower
3. 2 stage collector with either bag filter or cannister and a drop bag to collect the chips/dust
4. Cyclones with a fixed metal cyclone and cannister filter and a drop container.

Separators work well put "inline" in either a shop vac or a larger duct collector... Jet, Grizzly, Harbor Freight etc. But all that takes up a lot of floor space, so some folks have mounted the blower high up on the wall and the separator and filters underneath... non-mobile.

Here's a Thien baffle approach that was built by our member Kenbo: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f32/forget-dust-deputy-27235/

A drum sander is a dust generating monster and will clog the filter on a shop vac in a few minutes, rendering it useless. :yes: You need a separator to drop the dust out before it gets to the filter and clogs it up.

Large cannister filters are a real pain to clean out and you make a lot of airborn dust cleaning it. I clean mine outside, but it still is a mess. The paddles that you spin on top don't do a very good job of getting the dust out between the p[leats in the cannister.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts