Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Let me know how it goes and don't forget to test with some dark powder in the bottom bucket afterwards... it will help let you know if you are getting debris from the top or the bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Works pretty good now. Not seeing more than a couple teaspoons full of media in the shop vac filter after 30 minutes or so of sandblasting. Before the inclusion of the Semi-Thien clone setup the filter would have been entirely packed with media within ten to fifteen minutes. Well worth the small investment now that I did it correctly. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Glad it is working better for you now. :smile3:

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Taf,
You did a thorough job with your experiments. Very well done.
I have been using a Dust Deputy in my little shop. I have a picture of it in my photos.
Your post is a good guide for woodworkers who are looking for help with sawdust issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Taf,
You did a thorough job with your experiments. Very well done.
I have been using a Dust Deputy in my little shop. I have a picture of it in my photos.
Your post is a good guide for woodworkers who are looking for help with sawdust issues.
Thank you very much! I am very glad it can help people, especially ones that are starting out with dust separation and don't know which rout they want to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This seems to be working better than my neighbors Dust deputy now. We tried his setup on my sandblast cabinet and it still pulled a fair amount of fine powder into the shop vac. This is barely pulling any powder now. Thanks again for the help and pointing out my initial lack of clarity into my own stupidity. Heh.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
LOL. Glad you had something to compare against, and neat that my design is working better at separation. I bet there are ways to tweak it and get an even better removal rate. Maybe by slightly adjusting the inlet angle, or the exit pipe length, etc, but sometimes when you get good enough, it is just easier to stay with that.

Something I have thought of though that might make an improvement with very little work, would be to add a piece of thin plastic that is cut to the same curve as the bucket side to the bottom of the elbow with a tiny screw, then angle up to the lid with a little bolt that goes through the top of the lid to lock it in place. Basically creating a downward ramp so the flow of air/debris doesn't hit the back of the elbow pipe. Not really sure if it would help too much, but for light dust it could smooth out the airflow a bit.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
This is great info, and thanks for sharing it.

I bought a Dust Deputy not long ago. I am happy with it, but I'm sure I could have saved a few dollars if I had seen this thread before I bought it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank you.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised how easy and cheap a comparable dust remover was to make.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is GREAT!!! I just started out on this path over the weekend and built a simple 90 degree in and strait pipe out to collect fine sanding dust. Mostly so I don't have to knock out the vac filter every 15-20 minutes. Worked for Chips but not really for dust. I'm going to follow what you've done and experiment a bit myself. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This is GREAT!!! I just started out on this path over the weekend and built a simple 90 degree in and strait pipe out to collect fine sanding dust. Mostly so I don't have to knock out the vac filter every 15-20 minutes. Worked for Chips but not really for dust. I'm going to follow what you've done and experiment a bit myself. Thanks!!
Glad it can help inspire. Looks like you are already pretty close... add some slits right against the sidewall of the bottom of your bucket and seal over a container and you will basically be there. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, been using it a bit now since making the necessary modifications, and after probably 7 hours total of running my blast cabinet there was basically nothing in the shop vac filter worth blowing out. I tapped it on the edge of the work bench twice, decided it was a waste of time because there was nothing in it, and put it back. Huh. Something must be wrong. Nothing ever works the way it's supposed to, at least when you expect it to. Totally worth the time and small financial investment I put into it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sweet! Very glad it is working well for you. Sometimes the simpler things just do the trick.

Thank you for updating.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
Taf,

This is a nice modification to the Thien baffle, separating the slots vs. one long slot. Just to be fair, what you built to test the Thien baffle was similar only by the shape of the baffle. As you pointed out to Darkbreeze's original build the thick support around the slot openings will not separate very well. This is true with the Thien as well, but your test used a thick board for a separator baffle. But even worse for me was the observation of the big fat wood baffle flopping around in the bucket unsecured. I was shocked to see it was able to separate 50%. I am sure if I cut a piece of wood with spokes (like your separated openings) and let it float in a cyclone of dirty air it would have very poor separation. Other than the slot separation, your separator is the Thien. You built the taller version that many followers on his forum have built. I'm not quite sure if you purposely made a sloppy Thien for theatrics, but I have a Thien bucket build attached to my vac and it performs excellent. I see the difference between the two as your design requires two buckets and is taller (not good for portable units), but does not require the hardware to rigidly support the baffle to the lid. The other benefit of your build is you don't have to pay attention to how the baffle slot is aligned to the intake (which your test unit ignored as the Thien baffle floated around). The other benefit is using the bucket bottom for the baffle eliminates having to cut out a round disc and then removing the slot from that disc.

If I ever permanently mount my sop vac I may give this build a try.

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
LOL... No... I didn't meat to build a terrible thein example and really only included it in the video so people could see how wrong I went with it and maybe avoid the same issues. The first try was a total fail, but the second with a can of water under it to hold it down was marginally better. My intention was to finish the other tests and come back to fully build out a proper thein... use better materials, get the placement right, secure it properly, and do a wealth of adjustments to it until it got the best separation it could. However, after my own style (I have not seen any tall theins, so saw that as significantly different as well as the slot placement, etc.) got to 100% visible removal with such a very easy build and only one adjustment to the inner pipe length, I could not justify spending days and a lot of money to try to perfect a properly built thein.

If I had a way to test down to finer particles, I may have gone further into adjusting builds, etc, but 100% visible is where I felt ease of build outweighed dealing with something a lot more complex.

I do maintain that a perfectly built thein could very well have advantages over my version, but without ability to test that... I didn't feel necessary to go back. :)

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Taf,

This is a nice modification to the Thien baffle, separating the slots vs. one long slot. Just to be fair, what you built to test the Thien baffle was similar only by the shape of the baffle. As you pointed out to Darkbreeze's original build the thick support around the slot openings will not separate very well. This is true with the Thien as well, but your test used a thick board for a separator baffle. But even worse for me was the observation of the big fat wood baffle flopping around in the bucket unsecured. I was shocked to see it was able to separate 50%. I am sure if I cut a piece of wood with spokes (like your separated openings) and let it float in a cyclone of dirty air it would have very poor separation. Other than the slot separation, your separator is the Thien. You built the taller version that many followers on his forum have built. I'm not quite sure if you purposely made a sloppy Thien for theatrics, but I have a Thien bucket build attached to my vac and it performs excellent. I see the difference between the two as your design requires two buckets and is taller (not good for portable units), but does not require the hardware to rigidly support the baffle to the lid. The other benefit of your build is you don't have to pay attention to how the baffle slot is aligned to the intake (which your test unit ignored as the Thien baffle floated around). The other benefit is using the bucket bottom for the baffle eliminates having to cut out a round disc and then removing the slot from that disc.

If I ever permanently mount my sop vac I may give this build a try.

Thanks,

Carl
Carl,
I made a stand for my Shop Vac and dust collector that allows me to quickly pull the Shop Vac out and use it independently anytime I need to. By stacking the two units it has a smaller footprint and tacks up less shop space. I have a picture in my photos before I painted it shop gray.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That was really helpful!
Instead to use two buckets i used a flower pot tray (!) to separate my bucket (28Lt) in two levels, it works! Whatever thin tray will work by making the holes at the edges of the tray and push it tight in the bucket without any further installation, you take it out and empty the bucket, that simple! Also, the tray helps the bucket not to collapse! I will attempt to keep the tray also and the bucket will have three levels, i 'll try that, maybe better?
I forgot to mention that i used a small traffic cone with a square hole at the side as the bucket outflow (at the down side of the cap), the cone helps to create and keep up the main cyclone in the bucket, the purpose of the hole on the cone is the cone to work as the "Dust Deputy cyclone dust collector" but inside the bucket, and the idea was to push down any flying dust from the bucket cyclone and also to push down any dust that is coming to the outflow (the very thin dust), double cyclone in the bucket, or better a smaller cyclone in the center of a big cyclone. The cutted piece of the cone i used it as a flap (i stretched it a little to the inside direction of the cone to create the inflow of the cone and follow the flowing direction of the big cyclone so both cyclones to have the same flowing direction, that is a very important detail.
The cone outflow is "medium", the use of the cone makes the bucket outflow to "long".
How all these things work inside my bucket i have no idea, everything should be transperant, would be very interesting. For the moment i count only the results...
The performance doesn't stall at all which is more than great!
The first attempt was great but the tray was at a low position in the bucket and the capacity of my bucket became low :( (only 2/6 of the bucket left), i bought a short and flat flower pot which i installed at the higher position of the bucket, now is exactly the opposite (4/6 of the bucket) :) it's more than enough to work on the table saw for the whole day. The main point was to keep the exist height (65cm totally, include the turbine) of my dust collector ( i have installed a "turbine" (vacuum cleaner motor in a drain pipe ( Φ 12.5cm) , include an internal dust bug) which is installed at the cap of the bucket.
The performance is really good, the air comes out without any resistance and i use the turbine as a blower also because of this by plugging the hose at the back of the turbine :) .There are a lot of fittings (end-caps, adaptors, etc) that can fit on the drain pipe to cover all ideas and needs, and cheap..and when the motor will be damaged then you can buy another one in the same diameter for very little money, simple.. "Open architecture" for ever.
I used Thein when i made my dust collector but i was not satisfied that much (thin dust was coming in the dust bag, very few but enough to reduce the performance of the turbine), i had the same as in your video, i wanted a 100% clean bag and keep up the good performance, so i saw your post which was very helpful.
I use my dust collector also as a vaccum cleaner to clean the whole basement, so a "monster" dust collector would not be suitable in my case. I had to find a solution and the solution was at the bottom of your first bucket, these three holes, the cyclon turbulence pushes the dust at the second level bucket and as the cyclon works there is no space for the dust to come out again, but the holes must be at the edges of the first level (as they are actually) because the cyclone run at the sides of the bucket and the dust goes at the bottom sides, dropping at the second level and blocked there from the cyclone.
I wanted to share all these, maybe my post will be also helpful to someone and thank you for your nice post and video!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts