Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good canister dust collector because I cannot afford a cyclone.
1) Does anyone have a preference as to a manufacture eg jet, grizzly, powermatic, etc?
2) Does anyone have any experience w/one and would you recommend the unit?
Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

ken
Battle Ground, WA

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi! Ken
First off I am originally from Battle ground.
I had a camper manufacturing company there.
The dust collection system was a Jet, very good system.
The suction hose should have a ground wire running through it to prevent static that can start a fire.
If you like you can read the article on my blog about Wood Shop Fire Prevention. Leave a comment if you like.

Lee
http://woodtamer.wordpress.com

·
Woodworking Firefighter
513 Posts
Good Blog Lee. Very true about Fire safety in the shop. I had the misfortune to fight a cabinet shop fire several years ago. It started by having a gas H20 heater in the shop and no dust collection. All those airborn particules are just as flammable as gasoline and react the same way when a heat source is introduced under the right atmosphere. If you're like myself and don't have a DC, then at the min keep a window/door open with a fan blowing out. Sorry I got off the thread topic, but I felt this was important for someone who might be new and unaware of the dangers in the shop. Jeremy

·
Registered
227 Posts
my setup

Foxbsa I use a power-matic 3 hp. This is a system that works 7 differant machines With planer and jointer being the biggest draw. Have used it for about 11 years.
I am looking for a good canister dust collector because I cannot afford a cyclone.
1) Does anyone have a preference as to a manufacture eg jet, grizzly, powermatic, etc?

ken
Battle Ground, WA

·
Journeyman Wood Butcher
792 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on my blog Jeremy.
I don't know if I mentioned in the article, "Wood Shop Fire Prevention" on my blog that there was a fire in a woodworking shop here locally.
No Insurance, No fire extinguishers, Cost out of pocket $27,000.:furious:
I will be adding more articles to the blog.

Lee
Lee: I appreciate the sentiment of your post here, and of the information contained in your blog. I also have to agree with my (sic) comrade, Jeremy, that to have a fire in a woodworking shop would indeed be a misfortune. You're correct in your assertion that flammables in rags need to be watched. Your blog states a 'tightly sealed container.' I suggest it should read 'a tightly sealed galvanized steel container manufactured specifically for the disposal of solvent-soaked rags.'

However, on the point of the DC fires, I have to wonder...precisely how many fires have been started by an errant spark in a dust collector system? This seems to by the internet myth that just won't die. The U.S. Fire Administration keeps statistics on fire cause and origin, as reported by every fire department in the land using the NFIRS system. NFIRS is a standardized, nation-wide coding system used for all aspects of a fire, from the system used to report the fire, manpower, cause and origin, methods of extinguishment, casualties, etc. More fires in the U.S. are caused by cooking than by any other single source. If DC/static sparks were a great issue, those of us who are firemen in this woodworking hobby would be more aware of it, I think....

I know somebody will disagree with me, but I bet you a cup of coffee that the number of fires started by sparks whose cause is static electric buildup in a DC system using PVC plennums is infinitesimally small.

regards,
smitty

·
Journeyman Wood Butcher
792 Posts

ken
Battle Ground, WA
Hey Ken: on the matter of dust collectors, I think if you look in the Grizzly catalog or website ( http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/ ), you'll find a wide variety of cost for both canister and cyclone type DC's.

One example: a 2hp, 240VAC canister type with a 5.7 cu. ft. bag and
1700CFM is $425 in the 2008 Grizzly lineup.

I have a 2hp cyclone picked out for $745. There are other canister models listed for more than that. It's all in the size and capacity you choose, I think. Do the math on CFM requirements and static pressure, and see what you come up with. For my decision, the ease of use was the greatest factor---I think emptying chips from a steel drum on wheels will be much easier than wrestling a plastic bag. That is simply my opinion...I can wheel my can out the back door and dump chips on my garden or compost pile. Make your decision based on what you can afford and how you'll use your machines.

regards,
smitty

·
Registered
108 Posts
Smitty: Thanks for the info on the rag container, I will change it in the article on my blog.
As for the dust collection system, I had a long discussion with the fire chief here before I wrote that article. He said that they put out a lot of DC fires that is why he recommends the ground wire in the tube. But not mandatory, yet. The chief runs the best fire department in the state of Oregon so the state says.
Where I live there are a lot of woodworking shops.

Lee

·
Journeyman Wood Butcher
792 Posts
I had a long discussion with the fire chief here before I wrote that article. He said that they put out a lot of DC fires
I've been continuing my research on this topic, as I get closer and closer to the point where I'll be constructing my own d/c. The fact is, fires in dust collector plennums caused by ESD are practically non-existent.

I think I'm going with PVC.

regards,
smitty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts