Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I know a dust collector would be the best item to use, but right now it isn't in the budget. Can a Shop Vac be used as a dust collector buy directly connecting it to the power tool (router, miter saw. table saw, planer, jointer etc.) ? I already have a shop vac. Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
267 Posts
Joe.
Welcome yes a shop vac can be used I have a vac on my miter saw , router and table saw. I use a pvc Y-fitting and run the hose to my miter saw and my table saw and when I use the router I just move the vac over there and hook up to the back of it. Most times when you get your power tools they come with a 2 1/2 inch adapter for the discharge port hope this helps.

Bruce.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
And buy some ear good protection...I did that shop vac thing for a little while on a mini lathe. It gave me a headache.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Vac for dust collecting

Hello All,

I know a dust collector would be the best item to use, but right now it isn't in the budget. Can a Shop Vac be used as a dust collector buy directly connecting it to the power tool (router, miter saw. table saw, planer, jointer etc.) ? I already have a shop vac. Thanks

Joe

For years I used my $160.00 ShopVac for dust collection. Before the year warranty was up the circuit board that controls it fried so I had it repaired under warranty. By the way, this unit was the kind that you could plug your router,tablesaw,chop saw, etc into it. I guess it's called (on demand). Two years later the motor burned out and I had to junk it because it would cost me what I originally paid to get a new motor. My son-inlaw who is an electrician said that that shop vacs are not to be run continously for this reason. I broke down and bought a real dust collector from Highland Hardware.

Gary

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
Look at a small one from Grizzly or another off brand they work as well and are much cheaper. A Grizzly 1hp two bag setup is only $159 in the 2007 catalog I got here. If you're using it with a planer get the kit to add a trash can in-line to catch the shavings first they are much easyer to empty than the bags:yes:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got a great deal at homdepot for a 12 gallon ridgid shopvac; it was a sale from $89 down to $27! I love it, I use it for my router table and my miter saw

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another Dust collector question

Greetings,

I may have an opportunity to purchase a small 1 HP dust collector system. My question is How many CFMs do I need to add a dust collection cyclone cover and trash can in line between Planer, router, miter saw etc. and the dust collector ? I will be running one tool at a time, using 4 inch tubing about 12 ft. long. Space is at a premium.
Thanks

Joe

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
small shop and small planer (12") a 1hp should work. I use a 2 hp for a 20" planer and its a little weak but works. I use the trash can second stage too, you have too empty it a lot because the chips are not packed down like in the bag but it is so much easier:yes: . I use two trash can and switch quickly with the dust collector running then shut down and empty both at the same time:thumbsup: . One trash can will fill up after about 4 pass of 12" wide 16' lumber:thumbdown: hope that helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts