Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to move my Shop Fox collector to a small shed on the shop porch....
Looking for experience on what brand(s) of stop/start remotes are reliable....
It's a 220 volt unit.....

·
7,222 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I used a Long Ranger for about 9 years before I dropped the remote once too often onto the concrete....then it started working intermittently. I replaced it with a Shop Fox that came with 2 remotes and was quite a bit cheaper. It broke within a year...the outlet on the main box simply fell apart. Now I use what I consider the blongest lived option. Get a commercial relay, one that's switched on/off with a simple lamp remote. You can get the relay at most industrial suppliers like McMaster, Grainger, MSC, etc. The lamp switch you get at the box store for about $10-$15. Then you need about $10 worth of odds and ends (a box for the relay, etc.) and you have a life time remote. If the worst happens and the lamp switch remotes quits working, you keep a spare on hand, switch it out and you're back in business. You will need a 120V service near the relay for the lamp switch, but is about the biggest drawback to this system.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have the Long Ranger made by Penn State, got it from Grizzly. Been using it for years with no problems.
Same here... A great product. (It's Penn State Industries, btw.)

Sometimes mine will lose its programming. (Twice in 10 years or so.) I just follow the instructions on the side of the unit to reprogram the remote to the main unit.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rrich said:
Same here... A great product. (It's Penn State Industries, btw.)

Sometimes mine will lose its programming. (Twice in 10 years or so.) I just follow the instructions on the side of the unit to reprogram the remote to the main unit.
Ordered one of these today..... Thanx for the input....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a Delta 50-760 DC with the PSI remote which I have used for about 4 years and I noticed something strange when I went to unplug the DC from the control unit, the prongs of the plug are melted in the socket. I could not remove the plug even with a screw driver (of course I unplugged the power first). Anyone else experience the same thing?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
definitely not a good sign. sounds like the remote control receiver is under rated for the DC's required amperage.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Even so, something caused too much current to go through it to cause damage like that. Maybe the DC needs a going over, but something went wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts