Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing ducting for my small shop system and can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I will soon buy a remote for my 240 v., 2 hp Grizzly collector. I been told the "Long Ranger" is a good choice. Grizzly has one for less money that may be good as well. This isn't a production shop by any means and I don't need top of the line stuff. I welcome your input.

After looking at some plastic blast gates somebody gave me, I now understand the need for "self-cleaning" gates! These don't close because there is a buildup of sawdust in the groove into which the gate must slide! (I can't see a good way to clean them, either.) There are on the market aluminum blast gates and ?? I'll need 10 total. Any good recommendations?

Bless y'all!

Chuck Barnett

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Chuck,

I bought some "cheaper" remote systems a few years ago from Amazon ($25.00 range) from my 2HP HF DC. They worked just OK, but most of the time I had to actually point the remote clicker toward the receiving unit to get it to work. Not a good thing if your receiver is tucked away in a corner or in another room.

I bought the Lone Ranger a last year and it works great. I have it hanging from a ceiling joist, central to my 300sq ft basement shop, and when needed, just click it on or off. The receiver is in another room where i keep my DC and compressors.

Well worth the extra bucks.

Johnnie

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the Lone Ranger a last year and it works great. I have it hanging from a ceiling joist, central to my 300sq ft basement shop, and when needed, just click it on or off. The receiver is in another room where i keep my DC and compressors.

Well worth the extra bucks.

Johnnie
Like your shop, Johnnie, mine is cozy - a single bay of a 3-bay garage, which calculates to be just over 250 sq. ft.. I am putting the dust collector on the back side of a wall and my compressor is on that side as well. Not sure if I'll mount the remote or what, but that's a good idea as well.

Chuck Barnett

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am in the process of looking for a 240 volt remote control for my DC I am building. How does the iVAC Pro switch compare to the Lone Ranger?

I have a 2 HP Baldor motor which pulls 11 or 12 amps. My DC is located in a different room so the remote needs to work through a wall.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Right now in the stores there is Christmas Light stuff. Rummage around there and you will find a remote plug that is for Christmas lights. I bought one at home depot for $10. It is 15 amp and 110 v with two plugs. Remote works around my shop for my vac just fine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
coxhaus- re: Long Ranger vs iVac. I have the LR, which works great- has a long range (duh!), and is bullet proof. I don't know a lot about the iVac, but it is a system which can automate turning on the collector, if you have a sensor (iVac Pro Tool) attached to your saw, which remotely turns on the switch attached to your collector when you power up your saw.

As I see it, the iVac is nice if you have trouble locating your remote control, or forget to turn it on, and have lots of money to spend. You need a sensor for every tool you have connected to your collector, so the cost really jumps up. As an alternative, you can buy a hand held remote, in which case you're basically doing the same as the Long Ranger, at a higher price.

Since both use RF signals, I don't think the range or working through walls would be any different between the two. (iVac says 40 foot range with remote, LR says 50 ft)

BTW, those cheap Christmas light remotes wouldn't work at all for your DC. I do have one, though, which works fine for my ceiling mounted air cleaner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The iVAC Pro Switch is a stand alone unit more like the LR. The iVAC system does include different units which can switch a DC on when a power tool is turned on. The iVAC system also has options for automatically switching blast gates on. I am just looking at the iVAC Pro Switch 240 volt to remote control my DC with the remote which comes with the unit. I am wondering which unit has better soft start features. I have heard the iVAC has very heavy duty soft start features. Is it better than the Lone Ranger 240 volt unit? I wonder if anybody has compared them?
Sounds like the remote features are about the same. Thanks for answering that jdonhowe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.